Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help needed >

Help needed

Help needed

Old 02-07-2024, 11:07 AM

Default Help needed

Hi everyone. I've been away for quite some time. I'm trying to get back into quilting and things are not going well... I am working on the All Roads quilt by Angela Walter's. I can not get the blocks to square up correctly no matter what I do. I have went back and remeasured all my pieces. My center piece is squared correctly.
I would sure appreciate any ideas on what else I can try. If I can figure out how to post a photo, I will. lol

Old 02-07-2024, 11:15 AM

I've never made this project, but it looks to me that seam width would matter quite a lot. Have you tried measuring the seams to see if they are right on or not?

Picture help is in the Help Section -- it depends a lot on what you are using on what to do.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...lp-center-f27/
Old 02-07-2024, 11:18 AM

Maybe this will help?

https://youtu.be/GC6d96szqgA?si=pN5NcF6HXGEafqt7

Welcome back, and yes, pictures are worth a thousand words!
Old 02-08-2024, 04:35 AM

The pattern looks like it has alot of biased pieces, perhaps you need to starch your fabric/blocks. Do you have a square up ruler?
Old 02-08-2024, 07:17 AM

I don't know the answer but when I have blocks that just can't seem to come out the right size. I make larger and cut down. My first log cabin was wonky all the way thru and I had to "square" after each two seams.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:17 AM

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf and on an ipad at Posting Pictures From an iPad

Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button. As shown at Standard Sewing Machine Co. Paragon

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
And how to use an ipad to post pictures can be found at Uploading photos and Posting Pictures From an iPad

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Some additional notes -
The photos generally need to be reduced to less than 2MB in size. I have heard of people sending an email to themselves as it will ask if you want to reduce the size.

I have an android phone and when I tried to reply on Quilting Board while in mobile view None of the options for adding pictures was available. However, there is an option down at the bottom left of the page that is for Full Site when I tapped on "Full Site" It then looked like the way it looks on my lap top. So it would have the Red Reply and the Go Advanced options.

Do Not Preview post.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:28 AM

The same used to happen to me. It sounds like your problem could be a combination of inaccurate cutting and inaccurate seam sewing.

You may be beyond this but I found it so frustrating. I overcame it by buying a good long plastic quilting ruler, a rotary cutter with new blades and a 1/4 foot. The ruler and rotary cutter, with practice makes every piece exactly the same dimensions. You have to work out exactly what side of the line you cut on and be consistent. Use a ruler to check your pieces until you know where to cut for the exact dimensions needed. Or mark the fabric and cut the same for each piece.

Once you have your pieces accurately cut sewing them together is much more accurate but the 1/4 inch foot is a game changer. It has a little bar on the side of the foot which rests against the two pieces of fabric when you sew them together so your seams are all exactly the same width.

I know all the YouTube sewers zip down a seam but I go fairly slowly (but not too slow) to make sure I sew accurately.
I hope this helps, best of luck.

Last edited by paddingtonbear; 02-08-2024 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:50 AM

I’m sorry if my advice was too basic to be of assistance.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:50 AM

Pressing too "hard" can distort your stitching. Now I do more "pressing" than "ironing".AND use a wooden clapper which has made a world of difference in my piecing success. Still not perfect, but much better than before. It seems to be an ongoing process.
Sometimes, it is helpful to just go back and start at the beginning and re-learn and restart with the basics..

Old 02-11-2024, 09:21 AM

Default Thank you everyone

Originally Posted by DebbieL View Post
Hi everyone. I've been away for quite some time. I'm trying to get back into quilting and things are not going well... I am working on the All Roads quilt by Angela Walter's. I can not get the blocks to square up correctly no matter what I do. I have went back and remeasured all my pieces. My center piece is squared correctly.
I would sure appreciate any ideas on what else I can try. If I can figure out how to post a photo, I will. lol
Thank you for all the help. I never could figure out how to post a picture. My problem must be in my seam allowance. I have measured my pieces many times and they are good.