Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with New machine...9mm feed dogs >

Help with New machine...9mm feed dogs

Help with New machine...9mm feed dogs

Old 10-24-2010, 11:02 AM

Interested in a Bernina 730e but have been researching the 9mm feed dogs. I generally do garments and quilting but am wondering if I am making the proper decision since I want to be more accurate in my quilting precision. Is it possible to get perfect 1/4 inch seams with the 9mm feed dogs?? Do the large feed dogs make it harder to sew garments as well? If not which machine do you suggest? Hubby wants to invest in something I can grow into (embroidery, decorative stitches etc) Thanks a bunch
Old 10-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

You will love the wider feed dogs for decorative stitching :D:D:D

My feed dogs are wider than my 1/4" foot, and it doesn't affect my piecing. My fabric feeds in nice and straight :D
Old 10-24-2010, 11:34 AM

I have an older Bernie 1630 and really like the 9 mm. I can use the decor stitches and do things that I can't on a reg machine. It does not affect piecing or stitch width. The only thing that you have to be careful with is if you are using pins you have to be sure that when you put them into the fabric that the pins extend out past the opening of the feed dogs so they don't get caught.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:34 AM

9mm stitching is a bonus not a hindrance. Accurate piecing is made more so with a straight stitch plate. I'd recommend you get one with your new machine.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the swift replies!

I was reading that in order to get that perfect seam you have to change the needle position making it impossible to use the straight stitch plate (zig zag plate instead). So it seems like a pain to have to move the needle and change out the plate to get the 1/4 inch seam.

Hoping any quilters with the 9mm machines can chime in! Thanks a bunch ladies (and gents?) ;)
Old 10-24-2010, 01:09 PM

I never move my needle from the center - using the single hole plate does help but I haven't had a problem with the wider plate.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:24 PM

It depends on fabric thickness and thread thickness. On my Bernina I typically use Aurifil 50 wt. and cottons. I don't need to move my needle over so use the straight stitch plate. If I sew flannels(thicker) or use a different weight thread, then I may have to move my needle over and use the 9mm stitch plate instead.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

I have a B 730E and have no problems with the wide feed dogs, or with sewing a quarter inch seam. I do have a quarter inch foot - I don't like the ones with the guides, but I think that is personal preference, more than anything. I love my machine, and don't hanker after the 830 at all.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:47 PM

I had a Bernina 730e for a brief time, sold it specifically because of the 9mm feed-dog. I did not like it at all. I already had a Bernina 230PE and love it, I actually think it is a better machine for piecing. The 730e is a wonderful embroidery machine. I loved it for that, the resizing and rotating of designs is easy to learn and use. As stated previously it has nice stitch designs, I used some of these for quilt labels. Another thing I didn't like is the wait for the machine to come up, just my opinion for me, I like to sit down and start stitching. Also, it had a high pitched noise. Hope I don't sound too negitive, I love Berninas.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:15 PM

and so if I may ask what do you quilt with, if you do?
Originally Posted by lvaughan
I had a Bernina 730e for a brief time, sold it specifically because of the 9mm feed-dog. I did not like it at all. I already had a Bernina 230PE and love it, I actually think it is a better machine for piecing. The 730e is a wonderful embroidery machine. I loved it for that, the resizing and rotating of designs is easy to learn and use. As stated previously it has nice stitch designs, I used some of these for quilt labels. Another thing I didn't like is the wait for the machine to come up, just my opinion for me, I like to sit down and start stitching. Also, it had a high pitched noise. Hope I don't sound too negitive, I love Berninas.