Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help, Overwhelmed but Happy!

Actually I've hit 3 really good sales this year. My best was 25 cents per plastic grocery bag. I even surprised myself at the amount of fabric I packed in those bags. I'm going to try really, really, hard not to buy any more. It's time to get down to business. :thumbup:

Hey cjomomma, NorbanaQ sent me some of her winnings. I must say that your's looked even worse in person! :lol:

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I kept trying to tell everyone it was ugly but no one believed me. Lol

I normally wash and dry fabrics as soon as I get it home. In this case with the strips and UFOs I would not wash them. I also always wash and dry a quilt when I finish it.
    Long story short, I would wait until I totally finish a quilt before I washed it.

Don't feel bad about your find. It will just give you incentive to make more quilts. I'm glad you got a wonderful start on your stash.

What a find! Enjoy them all.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I kept trying to tell everyone it was ugly but no one believed me. Lol
    Let me take this opportunity to apologize for all of us that didn't believe you. It was really yukkie! :-(

I wouldn't wash it unless it was dirty or smelled....go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainy Day
    What a find! Enjoy them all.
    Thanks! I have a couple more loads of washing then it's on to ironing. Hopefully it will be a little cooler.

Wow, gooid for you! Enjoy quilting!

Oh, lucky you, such pretty fabrics!

I washed pre-cut pieces because I did not know if they had been washed. BIG mistake, strings all over and now needing to iron and then cut every piece. I enjoy the look of scrap quilts so that is what I will be doing.

I found great directions for a simple Jelly Roll quilt at
    http://fromthenestblog.blogspot.com/...y-roll%20quilt I will just be cutting my own 2.5" strips.

Happy stitching,
    Jeannette in NJ

What a great find !!!! I saw some fabric in there that I had at one time. lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    oh my gosh! why don't I ever find stuff like that??? Do you mind telling us what you paid for it all??? Was it by the piece, or in a lot????
    You won't believe it, but I paid $2.00 ea for 4 bins! I also got vintage hankies in the original box for 10 cents, and quilting books for 10 cents ea. I didn't know about the UFO's until I got home, that was an extra bonus. :-P

I don't know what's going on, maybe people are downsizing due to the economy. I'm just glad I'm in the right place at the right time, and it's in my price range. I decided to skip the yard sale today where fabric was $1.00 per yard...darn!
    I used to wash everything before I would use it in a quilt but now that is not the case. Unless it is a dark color that I don't trust I press it and use it. I have been lucky I guess because I have never had a quilt bleed when washed.
    Phyllis

I wouldn't wash them before sewing and if they shrink at different rates then I think it would create an interesting effect with the puckering. Just a thought.

so happy for you. and as another newbie i say you can't have too much fabric! you scored and since you're just starting you need to get your fabric stock up anyway! delighted for you!

You go girl! I figure I have enough stash to last me the rest of my lifetime. I have so many ideas for quilts that my mind is constantly thinking QUILTS.GGVery nice of you to donate to a new quilter. I think many of us here have similar stories , or maybe would like to have.

Jeanette, I really like this pattern. So simple. I think I will put this on my list of "to do"s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette in NJ
    I washed pre-cut pieces because I did not know if they had been washed. BIG mistake, strings all over and now needing to iron and then cut every piece. I enjoy the look of scrap quilts so that is what I will be doing.

I found great directions for a simple Jelly Roll quilt at
    http://fromthenestblog.blogspot.com/...y-roll%20quilt I will just be cutting my own 2.5" strips.

Happy stitching,
    Jeannette in NJ
    Thanks for the jelly roll suggestion. I'll have to put it on my list of projects-to-do.

:thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by Maksi
    If you are worried that one strip may shrimp more than the other you can also iron them as hot as they can handle, maybe with some steam. That will get the shrimp out. ( is the word shrimp of shrink, because at first I used the word shrink everywere but it didn't sound right to me....)
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I'll give it a try.

Maksi, you are just toooo cute!

After I decide what I need to keep for my future projects, I will be sharing. When, what and how, I can't say. Right now it's a little too hot to iron so it might be a little while.

I've posted pictures of a portion of my new stash.

WooHooooooooooooo!
    Oh,,,,,,,, my,,,,,,,,,,, Goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let's get rid of that guilty feeling and replace it with the happy dance. I am sooooooooooo proud for you. Mannnnnnn,,,,, that is some kinda stash!!!!! You may not have the fever yet but once you start creating with all that you will be running 104!
    Congratulations. Enjoy. /Regards, Dorothy

cjr
    Cong on great find. Now you can make more wonderful quilts. I would suggest washing as much as possible, you never know where fabric has been or what it has come in contact with, especially from a yard sale. If you personally know seller that is different. I have allergies and prewash all my fabric regardless of source.
    Did you get to keep the bins also? That is an extra bonus for you.

What an awesome pile of stash. I wouldn't feel one bit guilty at all. Please enjoy and let us see what you make from it.

Suzanne

With my new stash, I'm really having a difficult time staying focused on my next project. Everytime I see a gorgeous quilt someone has made, I want to make that one! :shock:

Maybe I should stay out of the picture section...NOT!

When I was looking for something to wash my bleeding batiks, I talked to one lady at the LQS. She recommended Shout sheets (I forgot the rest of the name) they look like dryer sheets. She also told me she did not wash her fabric pre quilting, but washed it after the the quilt was finished and threw in 2 or 3 of the Shout sheets and it worked great. I have decided to follow her lead and wash after quilting and use the SHout sheets it seems a lot less work.

Because you don't know where the fabric has been, if any critters reside in it, any odors that may be present, I would wash in a mesh laundry bag on gentle and take my losses if any shrink or bleed. Dry on delicate.

Definitely wash after you use them. They will not stay true to size.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast