Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with paper piecing >

Help with paper piecing

Help with paper piecing

Old 01-31-2015, 11:32 PM

Default Help with paper piecing

I'm appealing to the wealth of knowledge that is this online community! I've paper pieced 8 pineapple blocks, and now I'm ready to join them all together to make a wall hanging. I've unpicked twice as they don't seem to be lining up properly. Is there a trick??? Do I leave the paper on, or do I take it off??? This is my first foray into paper piecing. I've managed to work it out thus far, but now I think I'm stuck and need some guidance.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:45 AM

Not aware of any trick, but if you find one, I'd love to hear it! This is only my second project. I've no idea why your pieces don't match. If you've done it according to the guidelines - i.e. sewn on the sewing lines (not the cutting lines) and used 1/4" seams, it should.

I'm now joining my 'Raindrops' ready to add the navy backing and they seem to match OK so far. I took all the papers off, but I know some people only peel back to the 1/4" for joining and remove at the end. I think I'm going to have to flip some seams too. Hope you work it out!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508345[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1274-copy.jpg  
Old 02-01-2015, 01:03 AM

I think its the bulkiness. I've just tried again, and its moving under the sewing machine foot, even though its pinned. I might try peeling back the paper a 1/4 inch, see if that helps.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:18 AM

If they're really bulky, you could try opening the seams flat. I sometimes do this when all else fails. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2015, 03:59 AM

If it's bulkiness, maybe you could try using a walking foot.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:43 AM

As to whether to take paper off before/after joining blocks....my opinion....depends on if you are ending up with bias edges on your blocks. If not, there is no need to keep the paper on to join your blocks. If you do have bias edges, keeping the paper on will certainly help.

Opening seams flat will also help tremendously with the bulk. Or if that is not possible, as tedious as it is, go ever so slowly when going over your joining seams - like one stitch at a time - to keep things from shifting as much as possible. Perhaps ease the pressure of your presser foot if that is an option also. Might make things wiggle less.

Good luck. And remember, by the time you get it quilted, no one is going to notice those seams not matching perfectly - not even you!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:11 AM

I watched Carol Doak on Craftsy website and she had a fabulous trick of putting the blocks together. It is hard to described but she would pin her blocks every 3 inches and then use a long stitch (3 to 3.5) and use that as basting stitches in place of the pins. She would open the block to check to accuracy and if needed unpick and baste again. If everything lined up she would go back and sew the entire length of the block at 1.5. Also she left the paper on until the entire quilt was assembled.

I highly recommend watching her video it is so worth your time and money. It has made my paper piecing so much easier an accurate.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:25 AM

SuzyM has a great suggestion. Basting or sewing with a long stitch first is so much easier to open if necessary, than constantly unpicking small stitches, and running the risk of distorting the block. CookyIN also has a great suggestion. Use your walking foot so that top and bottom feed at the same rate. I also use a bodkin (or my seam ripper if that is the only thing that is handy) and hold the fabric in place very close to the needle as I sew very very slowly.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:35 AM

It's much easier to use clips instead of pins. Pins tend to distort the paper & fabric when pushed thru all those layers. I use the red clips (others use clips from the office supply store) and find my pieces lay flat as I'm sewing and the layers do not shift; and they are much easier to remove as I approach them to continue sewing. Basting is a great idea and sometimes I do that if the seam is long but usually I'm too impatient.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

On my last PP project, I trimmed back the 1/4" seam just before sewing the seams together. I pin a lot to make sure everything is lining up. I also baste my blocks together so if something isn't lining up, that is easy to fix.