Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!!  Pattern for blues and browns with no florals for an older couple >

HELP!!!! Pattern for blues and browns with no florals for an older couple

HELP!!!! Pattern for blues and browns with no florals for an older couple

Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 AM

Default HELP!!!! Pattern for blues and browns with no florals for an older couple

HELP!!!! My next recipent(s) to get a quilt loves blues and browns which I'd add beiges for the lights but can't think of what pattern to use. I've already pulled a bunch of blues and browns with no florals and absolutely no lime green mixed in but I'm sure I could add regular green. Don't want to use a pattern I've used in the past such as DP9, regular logcabin, Pineapple Blossom, Split Rails, Trip Around the World and basic 12 blocks with some sort of star in each as the wife has seen my quilts in the past so wanted something totally new. Also think they're more toward traditional but could go a little toward modern if not too zany. Thought about a bargello but can't figure out how to blend the blues and browns together. Also thought about the Bento Box and may end up with that one if I can't find another one. I'm at a loss but thankfully I have plenty of time as they have no clue I'm making it for them.

Any suggestions with possible photos would be greatly appreciated. Right now I have picked 5 fabrics for the blues and 5 for the browns. Have more to choose from but that's as far as I've gotten on this project. You can email me privately

Thanks

Last edited by Jim's Gem; 10-06-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Personal e-mail deleted. please use Private Message function
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Would Jenny Doan's of MSQC youtube video of Merry go Round quilt interest you? How about Falling Charms?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:04 AM

I personally would not post my private email. This is a public forum and anyone can see it. JMT.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:19 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennyma...hmodernquilts/
try this link, I have been admiring this one for a while, it may have some floral prints but you could change that part, love the whole design. I think a modern type quilt looks best in these colors.

Last edited by debbiemarie; 10-06-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:34 AM

This one would look nice. It's a fairly simple block to construct.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439955[/ATTACH]

http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DepressionBlock.html
Attached Thumbnails depression-block.jpg  
Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM

I came across this pattern last week, may be that could be 'something'?
http://www.pbtex.com/UCLA_pattern-NM.pdf
Old 10-06-2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennyma...hmodernquilts/
try this link, I have been admiring this one for a while, it may have some floral prints but you could change that part, love the whole design. I think a modern type quilt looks best in these colors.
That is a lovely quilt, no wonder you have been admiring it.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:46 PM

Blues and browns sounds like a lovely combination of colors for a civil war style quilt - search for Paula Barnes 'Tavern Blues' - that sort of thing
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM

Peggi, thanks for the idea and photo as that helps with seeing it in the flesh (sort of speak). Didn't realize I already had that pattern in my stash too. Of course all the photos with the instructions didn't help me but this one does as its in the colors I need. Plus its a simple pattern to make also so another plus in my favor.

Just ordered some new rulers with guides and a special gadget to snip off the wings of triangles. This pattern will be great to try them out.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Will get right on it as soon as I finish the quilt on the frame.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:50 AM

Fabric Lover, thanks for the pattern from PBTex.com. Have downloaded it for future quilts. Love the scrappy look. Have a large tote full of scraps I need to use up before it takes over the sewing room. Went to the Quilt Show in Des Moines last week and then over to Fons & Porter Fabric sale. Have yet to put them away as I have no room for them. Woe is me!!!!!