Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!! Pfaff passport and Bernina Barnnet >

Help!! Pfaff passport and Bernina Barnnet

Help!! Pfaff passport and Bernina Barnnet

Old 07-27-2017, 06:35 AM

Default Help!! Pfaff passport and Bernina Barnnet

Hi, quilters!! I'm an art student and Korean traditional quilter, (Kyubang sewing). It requires only hand sewing strictly, but I decided to buy a sewing machine for some stitches and some other art projects.
Mostly, I use very small pieces and thin one to four layers of silk or Korean ramie-fabrics which are complicated and fastidious for machine sewing. I know some Korean experts use industrial machines but it's too huge and heavy for me.

According to my research, Pfaff and Bernina are quite good for flimsy fabrics and have good stitch qualities. I really want to have auto thread cutter and nice stitch quality. I'm not into decorative stitches or other features, but I do want to have a beautiful stitch for a plain stitch.

So, I wanted to try Pfaff Passport 3.0 and Bernina Bernnet B38. They both have auto thread cutter. They're light weight. Not super big! Not really sure about Bernnet because I've rarely heard about Bernnet in the forum. But Bernina 5 or 7 series with thread cutter will be too expensive for me. (If the dealer has affordable option like second handed, then I can try!) My problem is I really need to check if the machines works for my fabrics IN PERSON. But it's really hard to find a dealer who have both Pfaff and Bernina.

I live in Baltimore, and I don't have a driving license, so I cannot drive far away. But if I can find any place that I can travel via bus or train. I will!! I appreciate for any advices because I know nothing about quilting or buying materials in US. Let me try them and get my sewing-best-friend!

Last edited by kyubang; 07-27-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

can't help with the machines, but
Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 07-27-2017, 07:44 AM

Hello. I have the Pfaff Passport 3.0 and I love it. I have owned it over a year now, with no issues, and regular use. It weighs 15 pounds, and I use it primarily for classes and workshops.
It is easy to use, and reliable. Keep in mind it only has about 70 decorative stitch options. Good luck.
i hope you share your future work with us. [ATTACH=CONFIG]577381[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 07-27-2017, 09:35 AM
Banned

You can get a quality machine without the cost of a big name. Look at the Eversewn machines -
http://www.eversewn.com/
Amazon carries them as well as several other vendors and they're good machines without the higher cost.

Cari
Old 07-27-2017, 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=Cari-in-Oly;7872716]You can get a quality machine without the cost of a big name. Look at the Eversewn machines -
http://www.eversewn.com/

They have a store locator on their web site maybe there is something close enough to you to test it out. I just looked at one version today and I'm considering the Sparrow 30, which has the thread cutter. If you don't find it local it is on sale for $399 here:
http://store.thequiltshow.com/product-p/es30.htm
Old 07-27-2017, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

My advice is to stay away from Bernette. Those machines are NOT traditional Bernina quality. It has been many years since I worked in a sewing machine dealerships, but at that time the Bernette machines were (in my personal opinion) junk. Even if they have improved since then, I'm sure there are better quality machines out there.

Pfaff has a great reputation. Without knowing anything more about the machines you are comparing, I would definitely go with the Pfaff.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:12 PM

The Bernette B38 is brand new. It may be hard to find. Our store doesn't have them yet. Prism99 is right about the Bernette is definitely not a Bernina. The thing that makes a Bernina so great is the metal bobbin case, metal bobbin and metal hook with an oscillating hook system.

The Pfaff and Bernette that you're looking at will be about the same -- both have the plastic bobbin case and drop-in plastic bobbin. The bobbin case will jam if you sew heavy fabrics, but will probably be alright for what you are sewing.

If you want an auto thread cutter, you have to get a machine with a rotary hook system. Most drop-in bobbin machines are rotary. There are a few front-loading rotary hook machines that are metal, like the Bernina 180, 200, 440, 560 and 580. Pfaff has some vintage machines that are metal rotary machines. You might consider buying a used machine.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:14 PM

I have the Pfaff Passport and a Bernina (not a Bernette). I love them both. I love the 1/4" presser foot on the Passport and it is great for piecing and it is lightweight to take to classes. I love the knee lift, large harp, and the large bobbin on my Bernina. It is so important to clean the lint out of the bobbin area at least with every bobbin change. The one thing I do not like with the Passport is that you have to undo screws to get to the bobbin area. The Bernina is so easy - no screws. Both do beautiful stitches. I agree with others that the Bernette is not the same quality as the Berninas. I would get the Passport, if you never plan on doing FRee motion quilting (FMQ), or a used Bernina that you can afford. Also, have you thought of using a stabilizer behind the silks? Good luck and welcome to the board. You will learn so much here.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:52 AM

Wow.. Thanks so much!! I appreciate! Pfaff sounds definitely better!!

I've researched more and heard that some Korean seamstress use vintage machines. Such as Bernina record and Vintage Singer. I don't know why but maybe it's because old machines' stitch quality is good for think silk?
Old 07-28-2017, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
The Bernette B38 is brand new. It may be hard to find. Our store doesn't have them yet. Prism99 is right about the Bernette is definitely not a Bernina. The thing that makes a Bernina so great is the metal bobbin case, metal bobbin and metal hook with an oscillating hook system.

The Pfaff and Bernette that you're looking at will be about the same -- both have the plastic bobbin case and drop-in plastic bobbin. The bobbin case will jam if you sew heavy fabrics, but will probably be alright for what you are sewing.

If you want an auto thread cutter, you have to get a machine with a rotary hook system. Most drop-in bobbin machines are rotary. There are a few front-loading rotary hook machines that are metal, like the Bernina 180, 200, 440, 560 and 580. Pfaff has some vintage machines that are metal rotary machines. You might consider buying a used machine.

What a knowledge! While I'm doing my research, I'm so into the mechanical beauty of sewing machines! Thanks for the every information.