Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HELP PLEASE!! Alternative to Pounce Chalk

This is terrific, Phyllis. Thanks for the detailed post. I love all of the ideas and suggestions.

This board is better than "google". I learn so much from everyone- I am tippy toeing into fmq - really just coming to reality I really want to do it and this board and all the knowledge contained within is AWESOME!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

has anyone ever used a sliver of soap? If so, please tell. I've only ever SID a quilt...but I've been wanting to do FMQ'g and try the soap sliver. I realize it would probably only work on darker colored fabric but if there are soap users out there, do tell! Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sew Freak View Post
    has anyone ever used a sliver of soap? If so, please tell. I've only ever SID a quilt...but I've been wanting to do FMQ'g and try the soap sliver. I realize it would probably only work on darker colored fabric but if there are soap users out there, do tell! Thanks!!
    I've used soap slivers and they work great! Lately I've been using Clover chacopel fine markers. They are like pencils and you can sharpen them. They seem to be like chalk and stay until you brush them off or wash them. They make a very fine line which I really like.

Mary Corbet of NeedlenThread had a series on making your own pounce: http://www.needlenthread.com/index.php?s=Pounce even making it a color that works with your project (that you can see!!)

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by jeank View Post
    At a class recently, the instructor said we could use the cheap chalk, she said the 19 cent box not the 99 cent box. grind it up with a mortar and pestal. I think the 99 cent box is called dustless, and you want the dust. She said to go to the dollar store. Then use a powder puff to apply.
    That sounds pretty cool. I guess you just brush it away?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
    Mentioned at the outset, but there are concerns about bugs. Thanks for the reply.
    the cornstarch is not going to be there long enough to attract bugs..plus you have to have the bugs first...

do your research on the press-n-seal...so many things can go wrong and mess up your machines when you use products not designed for those uses!

I have used soap slivers very successfully (you can mould into a tip with wet hands). I have also used cheap dollar store chalk (not using the very intensely coloured ones...just in case of disaster). Sounds weird but if you have a dog, don't leave your soap slivers on low tables, they seem to like to eat it.

Oh, please tell me your secret with getting the press 'n seal off. I used it once, thinking it would be fantastic but had an AWFUL time getting it out of small spaces and found the sharpie ink wanted to stay with the plastic under the stitches. It is a wonderful idea but maybe I'm not holding my mouth right. ;-)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I mentioned earlier that one gal on a different forum uses cinnamon to mark hers. She says she has no trouble with discoloration. If in doubt, try it on a scrap fabric first.

How about using tissue paper to mark the lines. It is so thin that tearing it off should be a breeze. (I hope, since I bought a pack to try)

Blog Entries
    I discovered the hard way to use a sharp needle and replace if it gets gummy --wipe them off on an alcohol swab for another use if desired. I get the colored sharpies and use a shade darker than my fabric. Even stitches and then I also go over it and use my gloved hands to roll the left behind bits. Just works way better for me than anything else I've tried. Try it on a placem at or pot holder to see if you like the technique.

Blog Entries
    The Press 'n Seal works like a stablizer for me and I have a Bernette 46 that I use. When I quilt I am constantly cleaning the lint from the feed dog area so if there is any plastic I get it then too.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    the cornstarch is not going to be there long enough to attract bugs..plus you have to have the bugs first...

do your research on the press-n-seal...so many things can go wrong and mess up your machines when you use products not designed for those uses!

Baby powder, cornstarch, cinnamon, cocoa, talcum powder.

I learn things all the time on this board. I can't wait to try the press and seal plastic.

My experience with Press n' Seal....... I used a fine tip permanent marker to trace my design for 2 quilt blocks, prob 12" blocks. I laid the PnS on my FMQ design paper and traced. I felt if I covered more than two blocks, the PnS would wrinkle up from puddling it under my machine's throat space. The PnS was actually fun to peel off, like peeling skin off after a bad sunburn has healed ! LOL......
    I pressed the PnS on my quilt with my hands, it's filmy, but you can still see thru it to postion it where you want your design to fall on your quilt. I did a meandering and an open rose, and it worked well. The only thing I found I didn't care for, was the PnS left a small gummy residue on the needle and seemed to collect midway on the needle. It didn't bother stitching performance, I'd stop and remove it with my fingernail from time to time. All in all I thought the PnS worked great for me, since I needed some direction with meandering & rose design for my first experience FMQ.

Blog Entries
    I took a quilting class and the instructor also said to use the cheap chalk for marking (not the good stuff). She has been using it for many years. It worked great for me, too.

I can't wait to try some of the other great ideas posted here. A wealth of information on this board!
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Yes I use cinnamon it work well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I'm really wanting to try FMQ but nervous about it - this sounds like a great tip! I happen to have some of this down in the kitchen....I know what I'm going to try later today!!
    I just took a class at the expo in Raleigh. Make yourself some 12 x12 or 10 x10 squares and just practice. That's all there is too it. I didn't do to bad; I surprised myself. Now I'm not winning any contest in yrs to come but I can satisfy myself and family so that's what's important.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggiem View Post
    I've used talcum powder several times quite successfully, and next time will definitely try to dampen the fabric a tiny bit. The only problem I had with the talcum powder was how quickly it disappeared under my hands when I was quilting.

I use a little box of Avon talc which has been hanging around my house for quite a while, with a small piece of sponge to apply it. I wash the quilt immediately on finishing it, and the talc disappears completely. Quite a good, economical solution, in my opinion.
    I just took a class and was told with the pounce to lightly spray it with hairspray to make it stay longer and just do small sections at a time. Worth a try
    Judy

I did end up using the Glad Press n Seal and it worked well for me. I did a 5 inch border with a 3.5 inch Greek chain so there wasn't a whole lot of stitching which I think made it easy to remove. If it were a smaller intricate design, I'd opt for tissue paper such as Golden Threads.

As to how to remove the sharpie lines left on the wrap stuck under stitches - I recently bought the best tweezers I could find. Revlon Ultimate. I keep them in my sewing drawer now. They were VERY helpful in grasping those little bits left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    I just took a class at the expo in Raleigh. Make yourself some 12 x12 or 10 x10 squares and just practice. That's all there is too it. I didn't do to bad; I surprised myself. Now I'm not winning any contest in yrs to come but I can satisfy myself and family so that's what's important.
    ........ or make placemats!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2