Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help please with border/binding decisions!

Help please with border/binding decisions!

TIA, need help deciding which fabric for border and binding. Size not an issue, measures 68 x 81 now, will be wedding gift for my youngest son getting married later this year. Kind of thinking the yellow or the black/white/yellow for border, and the black for binding, then again, maybe just the opposite, LOL! Help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I love the quilt. How about a very thin black border then the yellow print followed by black binding

I would go with a yellow inside accent border and then the black for the outside border. I always seem to prefer a darker border to frame the quilt. Lovely hexagon blocks!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Nice quilt. In all honesty, I think any of the combos you suggested would look fine. I tend to do my inside borders in black - IDK, I guess it seems like a picture frame to me.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would use a narrow border in blue or green, followed by a wider white border with black binding.

Very pretty quilt! All combos work! Guess that doesn't help much LOL Regardless it will be beautiful!
    Family is a priority, not a convenience!
    Take time to be friendly... It's the road to happiness.
    Take time to give... It is too short a day to be selfish.

I like a first border to say "stop" and clearly define the border to the blocks so I'd use a narrow border of the black with white polka dots, or plain black if you don't have that. Then I'd use a border of either the yellow from the centers or the yellow/white/black print. I would bind it in black.

Oh, so many different ideas. I would suggest making the inner border (narrow-maybe and inch or inch and one half wide) in segments to match the length of the blocks and the colors from your squares. Perhaps use black for the border and bind it in black. I think your squares are beautiful. Please be sure to show us when you make your decision and finish it.

Blog Entries
    Lovely quilt! I think there is enough black. I'd like to see more color so I'd use a 1" border and a 3" border in either blue/ yellow or yellow/blue combo and then the black for the binding. What are you going to use for the backing - solid or print and what color thread for the quilting? It would look nice with the white backing and quilted in black thread. Just my opinion.

Great job on your quilt, I would go with blue and yellow boarder then the black binding.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Whatever you decide this will be an awesome gift. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

What a lovely quilt and I think you can go with most anything for the border. I'd include a pop of yellow if it were mine.

I dont see this needing the "stop" inner border
    The two options I see are either a narrow yellow from the centers then the black/yellow print then bind in either the black or the polka dot.
    Or
    a 3 inch border of the black yellow print then 3 inch yellow centers and bind in the black polka dots or the red.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Blog Entries
    a yellow border and bind with black.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    I would use a relatively wide black binding and call it good.

Blog Entries
    I read this beautiful quilt as formal, I would select the black with the dots............very very nice........

What a gorgeous quilt!! I am bad at making decisions so anything you read above is enough.
    SusanSusan33- Blessed by God at Age 33 (Oct '00) with B/G twins. U.S. Air Force Veteran (1995-2002).

RST
    Blog Entries
    I would audition a yellow flange (1/4 inch) with a black binding, but I think I would end up just binding it in black.

I think this quilt works because the black and white dominate and allow the colors to be pleasant but not overwhelming. I'd keep that "clean" feel going by not adding an actual border -- just the black binding.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    a yellow border and bind with black.
    Thanks to all, but this is it Lynnie! It is still hanging, and I've been stopping to look and ponder everyone's suggestions, but I do think only one border, the yellow like center of flowers, about 3-4 inches, then black binding. Someone else asked about backing, quilting thread, etc. no idea yet, other than it's going to the LQS for LA'ing, I'm not wrestling with it, and I really need it to be great, a very special gift.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?