Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please - don't know where to cut border print! >

Help please - don't know where to cut border print!

Help please - don't know where to cut border print!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:36 AM

Red face Help please - don't know where to cut border print!

Could someone help me please? I've never cut a border like this before. I want to have four equal strips. I think it's the broad black strip next to the selvedges that's confusing me

Am I right in thinking I'll need to trim these broad bits right back to the equivalent of half a black stripe?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460364[/ATTACH]

Also, will it matter which side of the strip then goes next to the inside 'panel' - one side will have flowers whilst the other side will have the large turquoise stripe........ Which way would be best next to the 'panel'? I'm going to put a plain turquoise narrow 2 1/2" inner border to frame the 'panel'.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460365[/ATTACH]

I'm really confused.
Attached Thumbnails img_1086.jpg   %24_3.gif  

Last edited by Knitette; 02-03-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Yes, it appears to me that you will need to trim the thicker black stripes at the edges down a bit to match the others within the body of the fabric. Take some pins and mark where you are planning on cutting to double check before picking up the scissors!
The thing that confuses me is your questions about placement. If you cut the fabric into 4 equal strips, each strip will have a floral portion and a geometric print portion. It's obvious that all the strips would need to be used with either the floral or geometric print on the inner side. Maybe I don't understand your question...
Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

It depend on what fabric you want next to the turquoise strip you are adding. I think the dark background would look best next to the narrower turquoise strip. For that you would cut from left to right across the fabric. If you are not putting the narrow turquoise strip, then the wide turquoise pattern strip would look nice against the fabric. For that you would cut from right to left across the fabric.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=Knitette;6552712]Could someone help me please? I've never cut a border like this before. I want to have four equal strips. I think it's the broad black strip next to the selvedges that's confusing me

Am I right in thinking I'll need to trim these broad bits right back to the equivalent of half a black stripe?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460364[/ATTACH]

Also, will it matter which side of the strip then goes next to the inside 'panel' - one side will have flowers whilst the other side will have the large turquoise stripe........ Which way would be best next to the 'panel'? I'm going to put a plain turquoise narrow 2 1/2" inner border to frame the 'panel'.

I just finished a peacock quilt using this same Fabric I used this for the border will see if I have picture to show you. You measure 1/4" on black strip then you will come up with four borders. If I find my picture will post it here for you to see it. This way you will now what I mean. I love the way my quilt turned out it was used for a RR on a different site 4 of the borders were made by different people, and when I got it back I added several more borders so it would fit our bed.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:15 AM

I would have the geometric strip toward the quilt top and the flowers strip be on the outside edge. I would miter the corners so that the stripes meet and the eye is drawn along the line and around the corner.

Luckily the way the flowers are printed it looks the same regardless of which way it is viewed.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 AM

Here is my border from my quilt so you will get an idea what I mean
Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 AM

Here is a picture of my center I started with. I fussy cut fabric so it over flows my border
Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 AM

Here is a brighter picture of my center piece I started with. you can see where I fussy cut some things to overflow the border piece. I hope these pictures helped you with your questions.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:56 AM

Thanks all - you've been a big help!

pbadder - your quilt is lovely - thanks for the photos.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:15 AM

(Altered the picture a bit to show what I mean)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460389[/ATTACH]

You're going to have to cut into the black near the selvage, and use that black as the seam allowance. You could place the flowery border next to your center, with the small blue line just visible.
But the problem that I see, is that you'll like to have the other part of the border symmetrical. I mean: there is that beautiful featherlike portion, with colored stripes on both sides. You probably want to keep thoses blue and gold stripes as part of the border on both sides of the feather-thing, but since you need the black as seam allowance for the next strip,you'll need to use the blue border around the feathery border as seam allowance.

If you've got enough of the fabric, you might decide to let go of every other strip, and only use two. That way you even have the possibility of expanding the geometrical border a little further.
Attached Thumbnails boordje.jpg