Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Please!  Dresden Plate Advice! >

Help Please! Dresden Plate Advice!

Help Please! Dresden Plate Advice!

Old 07-15-2012, 04:32 AM

I finished mine earlier this year. I used 5 fabrics, and did the center circle the same on all of them. Charisma quilted it. I think you should do whatever is pleasing to you. I think charisma has pictures of several Dresdan Plates on her site.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:28 AM

I was in an on-line swap of "postcards (4"x6") from Hawaii". I decided the postcard idea was a blah quilt. I took each of the postcard pieces and cut dresden blades. I think my quilt is gorgeous (I also think all my children, grandchildren and great-grands are beautiful and super intelligent too). All the blocks are different, most of the centers are different, and I think I used several identical fabrics in one plate. I even used the "leftovers" to make the quilt border.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349124[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]349133[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]349135[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]349136[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]349137[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails hawaiiandresdenplate1.jpg   hawaiiandresdenplate3.jpg   hawaiiandresdenplate4.jpg   hawaiiandresdenscrapborder1.jpg   hawaiiandresden-full.jpg  

Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 AM

a lot of good information....I have done them several different ways and like them all....I did struggle over the first one and then decided I couldn't do it wrong...I do use order in color but it all works...please let us see what you have made it will be interesting to see the finished quilt.....
Old 07-15-2012, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I do the bag pull method and if I don't like the piece I throw it back and pull again. It controls the scrappy feel just a little. If you like more balance or more scrappy in the look, you know just what to do already. Your choices are listed so jump in and try some lay outs of you choices and pick the style you like best! Have fun. It will work whatever you choose.
peace
Old 07-15-2012, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

CATMCCLURE, This is one fab quilt. Your idea works ! Love it.
peace
Old 07-15-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Suze9395 View Post
I am starting my first ever Dresden Plate quilt!!
I am going to use a white base and the plates are going to be scrappy blue.

I don't believe in monsters under the bed and I don't believe in the quilt police.
What I'm looking for is words of experience on the most effective use of diversity.

My question is:
- is it better to have 20 different blades with no duplicates
- let the duplicates fall where they may
- use the same fabric at the four "corners" and the rest all different
- something else?

Please help me!
That's the creative part of quilting. Decide what you like and do it.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:38 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I'm taking Craftsy's BOM and this month we did Dresden plates. I've done them before, but she did a modern take on them. My avatar is the modern take. I am making a quilt out of this fabric, just the two colors, and love it. I also like that the tops are cut off. Really makes it look modern. Just an idea.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
I usually do them scrappy - but they do look great all one color or every 4th color - I just cut blades out and lay them out to see what catches my eye. The great thing is there is no wrong way to do it.
I was thinking of tackling a Dresden Plate myself later this summer and this thought (question) popped up in my own head, because I have more dark-dark blues than medium and light. THANK YOU, OTIS for this great suggestion. I'll sort out the dark-dark blues for the north-south-west-east points, and keeping them scrappy within each plate. I also like the idea of laying out the blades and composing each block beforehand - I might be able to create a nice gradation OR secondary pattern in the layout, which interests me.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:16 AM

Bunny Tales just did a Scrappy Plate quilt recently. Check them out, she may have posted pics of finished projects for you to look at to help you decide.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:28 AM

I think the use of a "planning wall" would be key......I have mine standing in my upstairs hallway, so I can stand back and look at what I am trying to do......everytime I go by I look again......Everyones taste is different which is why everyones quilts are different, which is why this months quilt is differnt from last months. I do think the seasons, and the weather even sometimes play into it....winter sewing is different from summer sewing. Even your current financial status, are you able to go buy new fabric, are you going to go into your stash for everything......
But these are no real hard true rules, the final answer is.....WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.....
and thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it