Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Please  Glad Press and Seal >

Help Please Glad Press and Seal

Help Please Glad Press and Seal

Old 02-04-2018, 04:38 PM

If using freezer paper, you can trace your pattern & pin onto your quilt sandwich; I was doing pieces so I photocopied the pattern onto the freezer paper. None of it is fun to pick out if your quilting is really dense!
Old 02-04-2018, 05:30 PM

Hi Guys,

I want to use it to do hand embroidery in Wool Appliqué. I am making a wool quilt and want to trace some words into the press and seal and stick it onto the wool and then hand stitch over it.

Hugs

Caroline
Old 02-04-2018, 08:26 PM

https://www.amazon.ca/Burda-Yellow-T.../dp/B00BFES6Y2

Burda makes sewing carbon/tracing paper that is available in Europe. It comes in different colours and you can use it over and over. You will probably find it in a notions or fashion fabric shop.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
Hi Guys,

I want to use it to do hand embroidery in Wool Appliqué. I am making a wool quilt and want to trace some words into the press and seal and stick it onto the wool and then hand stitch over it.

Hugs

Caroline
OK more info helps a lot. Given that you are using wool the transfer paper option won't work very well as wool always tends to have a bit of a nappy surface (for lack of a better word). Transfer paper doesn't work well on fibrous fabrics like felted wool. It works best on a smooth fabric like cotton.

In fact, I have yet to find any kind of marking tool that works well on wool. Chalk is about the best I have ever come across and even then it is difficult to see. I don't know if press and seal would stick to your fabric well enough to hand embroider lettering. If you are doing machine embroidery (assuming free motion embroidery) it might work better. I'm wondering if you might be better off using a water soluble stabilizer like solvy instead. I don't think it sticks to fabric, you have to pin it place or hoop it with your fabric.

here is a website that explains the different types
https://www.generations-quilt-patter...tabilizer.html

And here is You Tube to show how it is used to mark a design and quilt through it which you may be able to adapt for embroidery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb0RONTECJE
Old 02-05-2018, 06:51 AM

I don't know about where you live but here we can buy it every where, Have you tried Amazon. It has many wonderful uses, including keeping the fabric where it needs to be (or doesn't need to be) when embroidery,
Old 02-05-2018, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I don't know about where you live but here we can buy it every where, Have you tried Amazon. It has many wonderful uses, including keeping the fabric where it needs to be (or doesn't need to be) when embroidery,
Hi Judy,

I am in the UK... for some reason it is not on sale here!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 AM

Don't use it to sew over and then plan to remove it. I went to a class a few years ago where she recommended this. I thought I had finally found the magic bullet. Not so. I am still picking out bits from the table runner I made. And a previous comment aobut not using permanent marker is right on. It will get imbedded into the fabric. Love press and seal for the kitchen, just not the sewing room.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 AM

Default Press and seal

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
Hi Guys,

Can anybody tell me where or if I can buy Glad Press and Seal in the UK. Yes I need it for quilting..... not wrapping my sandwiches - LOL LOL LOL.

Is there a different name for it over here.... I have looked and looked and just cannot find it!

Hugs

Caroline
Try usng waxed paper. It is used for wrapping sandwiches here in the US. Less expensive
Old 01-21-2019, 04:33 PM

Instead of Glad Press & Seal (which doesn't work well) I have used Freezer Paper that is wax coated on one side with success. You can actually press it to your quilt top to facilitate stabilizing with pins, eg. if using as a template for quilting etc. Doesn't leave any residue on your fabric. Available in grocery store where aluminum foil etc. available.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I find the Press & seal makes a mess. I use a product called Stick & Stitch for all my embroidery. It's made by Sulky. You run it through your printer and when you are done embroidering it washes away.