Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help Please >
  • Help Please

• Help Please

Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by donnajean
    I've never had a problem with Steam & Seam 2 & I machine applique all my quilts.
    Ditto
    Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by jenny112058
    Working on one now that is giving me a fit. Hope someone can help! I’m doing a Sunbonnet Sue. I used Heat n Bond Lite; when I go to sew them the thread breaks or needle clogs with the glue from Heat n Bond or get skipped stitches. I have used 4 different machines and tried copy paper and/or wax paper and I still get thread breaks or needle clogs with the glue from Heat n Bond or get skipped stitches. Help please, anyone know what I can do to solve this problem? Thanks!!!!
    I have used Steam-A-Seam and it works very well. I have just finished using it on a very large group of applique objects on a quilt I am working on, then used a zig zag stitch all around the edges after it was ironed down, and did not have a bit of trouble with gumming up the needle. You would need to follow directions on it, because you do not iron it until you are ready to the permanent position. On the Sun Bonnet Sue, you would just cut the outline or trace it on the steam a seam paper then cut it out and peel the paper off and hand press it on to your SBS. You can then move SBS anywhere you need to until you find your permanent position. Then place her on that spot and press with a hot iron. BUT be sure that is exactly where you want it before you use the iron, as it will not come up.
    Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 PM

Sorry this is a double post intended to hit edit and add to the bottom, instead I hit update. But check out the last of this post and find where I purchased mine.

Originally Posted by jenny112058
    Working on one now that is giving me a fit. Hope someone can help! I’m doing a Sunbonnet Sue. I used Heat n Bond Lite; when I go to sew them the thread breaks or needle clogs with the glue from Heat n Bond or get skipped stitches. I have used 4 different machines and tried copy paper and/or wax paper and I still get thread breaks or needle clogs with the glue from Heat n Bond or get skipped stitches. Help please, anyone know what I can do to solve this problem? Thanks!!!!
    I have used Steam-A-Seam and it works very well. I have just finished using it on a very large group of applique objects on a quilt I am working on, then used a zig zag stitch all around the edges after it was ironed down, and did not have a bit of trouble with gumming up the needle. You would need to follow directions on it, because you do not iron it until you are ready to the permanent position. On the Sun Bonnet Sue, you would just cut the outline or trace it on the steam a seam paper then cut it out and peel the paper off and hand press it on to your SBS. You can then move SBS anywhere you need to until you find your permanent position. Then place her on that spot and press with a hot iron. BUT be sure that is exactly where you want it before you use the iron, as it will not come up.
    I bought some at Hobby Lobby and also order some when they were out of stock at the time I needed it.
    Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM

Isn't Heat and Bond the one that you're not supposed to stitch on?
    Old 04-27-2011, 02:04 PM

I use Heat n Bond lite all of the time with no problems are you sure it is not a new sew heat n bond
    Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Are you sure you had the Heat and bond LITE? The first time I used it, it was the no-sew and I had such a mess it wasn't even funny, took me forever to get it sewn as the needle gunked up ever stitch or two. Lesson learned, always check and make sure it is the Lite version and you will have no problems. Maybe somehow a piece of the no-sew got into your lite.
    Old 04-27-2011, 04:07 PM

Try some silicon on the needle and the spool of thread.
    Old 04-27-2011, 04:19 PM

Ha, Ha, You'll now be able to guess my age. I use wax paper to wrap my sandwiches in. Better then using plastic lunch bags.
    Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 PM

you must usess the lite heat and bond and it also says on the packaging SEWABLE. I learned the hard way and had to stop every couple of inches on a long wallhanging and clean my needle with alchol. Good luck
    Old 04-28-2011, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
    I pretty much use Wonder Under all the time for fusible. I am wondering if you pressed your piece a little more (maybe in just one area to try this) if the extra heat would dissipate some of the glue and help with the stitching. If you try this, be sure to let it cool before you stitch.

I am certainly no expert, but it sounds like there might be a lot of fusible material on the product you are using.
    I agree. I would try a larger needle and reheat the pieces. The extra glue should go into the background fabric more and hopefully stick more to the fabric than the needle. Protect the top from excessive heat with parchment paper or a pressing cloth.