Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Help please

Our guild has done this and we are currently doing this for a Hospice house in our area. You start with at least and 8 1/2" block. Cut it once on a diagonal, take the top fabric, put it on the bottom. Sew those two pieces together. Now, stack those up and do the same thing all over again. You then have to square them up. You can use as many fabrics you want, either sash or not. A very quick and easy quilt project that looks great when it's done. Hope this helps you out.

Quote Originally Posted by humbird
    Quote Originally Posted by PenelopeG
    I believe there is a 'quick' block made by piling the fabric (say four different) making random straight line cuts, then re-arrangeing them by shape in piles, stitching and re-cutting .... Does this sound familiar to anyone? Or is it total gobledegook! I would be most grateful for some help!
    Thanks in anticipation.
    http://www.bighornquilts.com/inspiration/strip/sns.html

Maybe this is what you are looking for. Google stack-n-slash and you more than likely will find more.

This is what I thought of myself when I read the message. We did this technique in a workshop several years ago and it was great fun being totally out of the box, and the quilt I ended up making was perfect for my (then) preteen niece.

I believe there is a 'quick' block made by piling the fabric (say four different) making random straight line cuts, then re-arrangeing them by shape in piles, stitching and re-cutting .... Does this sound familiar to anyone? Or is it total gobledegook! I would be most grateful for some help!
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Five Easy Pieces is my quess.

Thanks in anticipation.
    I took a class a few yrs. ago, called "Crazy Nine Patch". we stacked nine layers & made a cut, etc. Could this be it. If you think this is it PM me . I think I could find the instructions for you.

I did this with Halloween fabric. I think there was a tutorial . It came out great. Be sure to prewash your material.

Blog Entries
    I've made several using this method, only I start with 12 fabrics, each about 15" square, I think. It is a stack and slash method, like Karla Alexander uses in her Stack the Deck books. It's very easy and fast. The ones I have made were reassembled with 1 1/8" sashing between cuts, but you can sew them back together without it. The pattern was called Garden Maze, and I got it from a teacher at a class.

You spelled it right..but take it from someone who just finished 2 Bargello's..they are cut with precision..and only after stripe sets are sewn together..however..there is a stain glass style that does it..you have a choice of black stripes when you re-sew or leave it alone and call it a mosaic!!

This is a picture of 2 of mine on loan at a local coffee shop..hope this helps!
    Name:  Attachment-192265.jpe
Views: 26
Size:  47.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    No , it isn't OBW. I know the one you are talking about , but can't find it right now.Just cut 6 squares of fabric 12", then stack them up evenly and cut through all layers 3 or 4 times , then pick a piece from the bottom and place it on top in it's spot. Sew the top blcok together , replacing a piece from each one.
    This is how I made my crazy quilt.......each block is the same but each piece of the block is a different fabric in a different position.

there is a pattern called " magic tile" that you stack the fabrics make a cut sift the top one to the bottom and sew them all together again make another cut and do the same thing you can use sashing or grout between the pieces if you want to just remember the square will be smaller when you get done because of the seams

Quote Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    No , it isn't OBW. I know the one you are talking about , but can't find it right now.Just cut 6 squares of fabric 12", then stack them up evenly and cut through all layers 3 or 4 times , then pick a piece from the bottom and place it on top in it's spot. Sew the top blcok together , replacing a piece from each one.
    This is how I made my crazy quilt.......each block is the same but each piece of the block is a different fabric in a different position.
    Here's the crazy quilt block I did with this method
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    mjsylvstr, it is beautiful! thanks for sharing the picture with us!

Sounds like a 4 patch pandemonium.

Power Poster
    Stack n Whack has always seemed to have been misnamed to me - because one lines up (stacks) the pieces of ONE fabric carefully and cuts carefully - attempting to have each piece the same in a given pile.

Seems like similar techniques/patterns have a lot of different names.

I have seen a video of it. I think either on the Quilt show or an old Simply Quilts. I believe what you are talking about is you take a stack of squares, the size doesn't matter, as long as they are all the same size.
    You then slice the stack of squares into pieces. You can make straight cuts, but it works best if you make angular cuts. If you are cutting a wonky 9 patch, you would need nine squares. If you cut a wonky 4 patch you need 4 squares.
    You then sew together the pieces you cut - one from each color square to make a block. You then have squares that are identical in shapes, but each one is different colors.
    Make sense?

If I want to make 12 1/2 ", how big should I cut my prewashed squares?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinNsmilin
    There's another pattern that starts with a 15-inch block. You cut two parallel vertical lines then two parallel horizontal lines.... then you stack the pieces in different ways. It is called magic tile.
    You sew black fabric between the resulting pieces and it makes
    a gorgeous stained glass look. It's more work than the stack and whack but the effect is wonderful - especially if you use fabrics that have some gold in them.
    That is what I did, but there is a special method for moving the cut pieces. It isn't just move one from the top to the bottom. With every cut you move a different number of pieces to the bottom so you get a true mixture of fabrics in each block. I did the magic tile block with the "grouting" between pieces. I didn't make all the cuts at once. After the first cut and shuffle, the pieces are re-assembled with the 1 1/8 strips between and then the next cut is made and shuffled. It's the fastest quilt I can make.

Do you mean that you added the sashing to the cut piece before re-assembling the pile and cutting again? So that the finished item would have the stained glass window effect (as MelodyW, Thequilter48 on page 4 of this blog has done?) (Sorry to be a bit dense!).

There is a tutorial on UTube showing how to make Crazy shortcut quilts. That's what you are describing. The lady is Marguerita McManus and she and her daughter wrote a book with the instructions on how to make these quilts. They are quilt as you go and are very easy. Beautiful!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3