Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help, please >

help, please

help, please

Old 12-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

thanks, karenmay. i needed to hear that too. one of the kitties has a very slight flaw underneath her tail that was impossible to make 'perfect' bc the area was so small and fleece can become worn thin if you pick at it too much. it doesn't show at all really, but you know how we can get with our projects...very self critical. I love that...ppl here say "wonky" too, lol!!! smiling now. thanks. C
Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Good luck with those babies. Don't stress too much over them, those kids are gonna love them no matter what! When do we get to see the pics of them?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 AM

I guess I never had problems, but I think I also trimmed before sewing the seam. I think that looks nicer than hair trapped in the seam
Old 12-01-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
thanks, karenmay. i needed to hear that too. one of the kitties has a very slight flaw underneath her tail that was impossible to make 'perfect' bc the area was so small and fleece can become worn thin if you pick at it too much.
That's not a flaw under her tail....just part of her anatomy. lol. :lol:
Old 12-01-2008, 08:38 AM

Please do not use real fur. I just read a Peta piece that has givin me nightmares.
In China they are skinning dogs and cats alive then thowing them in piles to slowly die an agonizing death. These animals were stuffed in cages 30 at a time and some on the bottom were crushed to death before they even went thru the torture.
The pictures were heartbreaking.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
The pictures were heartbreaking.
Effective ad campaigns are not always based on the truth. Many farm raised furs are available, and the trappers I have met were responsible stewards of the land.

When approached by a Peta person, I generally look at their shoes. Leather doesn't come from plants either. I'm all for walking gently on the earth, was a free-range farmer in the 80s and planted over 1500 trees. I also called in a trapper to dispatch a fox that was determined to eat my flock. No, the animal was not relocated - After eating chickens, his pelt went for a nice price. Here in America, we have laws and organizations protecting pets. In China, they are considered food. The meat is used, just as the cattle used in leather production are used.

All fur products coming into the US are labelled for content and country of origin. If the fur is listed as an animal you are not familiar with, investigate before buying. If it is from a country that eats pets, you have every right to direct your fashion dollars elsewhere.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:17 AM

Take the [fake] fur and make a pillow, go buy more fleece :D
Old 12-03-2008, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

I'm so sensitive to all living things I could never use real fur for anything. I can't even bring myself to read about such cruelties bc it would break my heart, but think bc of your message i may support groups against these things in the future if I am able. I think ppl that do stuff like that should be locked up.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

I'm glad we have the sense here in america to have laws that accomplish things in sensible ways. It's the cruelty that is so sad.
I guess there is a lot about this world that I know nothing about so I go in my "fantasy" world of fabrics and create a world where I love making gifts for other people and love goes into every one of them.
I suppose I'm childlike in a lot of ways, but i wouldn't change it. Sewing and quilting keeps me sane, lol!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

auntluc: That's not a flaw under her tail....just part of her anatomy. lol.

LOL! every one of my projects, whether it's a quilt or a tote bag get named before I am finished bc so much of me goes into them...so of course my "Miss Kitty" would start to become real like pinnochio!
like i tell my grandbabies...your so funny!!! :D