Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please! >

Help please!

Help please!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:51 PM

Default Help please!

I just sewed two sets of strips together, I measured the distance between the strips to make sure I had the quarter inch right, I did. When I was cutting them I noticed that my strip sets were a little curvy and I had to constantly square up the left side before each cut? Why did this happen? Thanks in advance for any advise.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 PM

I wonder if you were cutting through too many layers of fabric when you cut your strips? I had this happen to me if I tried to cut through more than four layers Also is your cutting mat on a hard flat surface? Once I set my mat on an ottoman and cut while I was watching TV and got some curvy strips because my mat was bending a little from the pressure of my cutter into the soft surface.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 PM

Could be your sewing machine stretched the seams a bit. Or you did it when pressing. I don't think it's uncommon. There's also the possibility that your cutting was off by a tiny bit - just enough to throw off the squareness every few cuts.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 PM

When sewing strip sets it is best to alternate the direction that you start the next strip. Sew one on at one end the next at the end you just finished at. When you do this you alternate which fabric is on the bottom layer. The feed dogs will slightly gather ever so slightly the bottom layer causing a curve . When you alternate at each strip , each strip has its turn on the bottom... so all the strips will have that same slight gather... and be straight. I have been successful in avoiding alternating by starching my fabrics prior to cutting... it seems to ride the feed dogs better, and no curve.
It can also happen if your cuts are not on the straight of grain... and there is a ever so slight bias edge.. this can stretch as it feeds through the machine. Another is that all layers did not feed at the same tension going through the machine. If the top or bottom layer is more tought than it will curve.

Last edited by Lori S; 01-08-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
When sewing strip sets it is best to alternate the direction that you start the next strip. Sew one on at one end the next at the end you just finished at. When you do this you alternate which fabric is on the bottom layer. The feed dogs will slightly gather ever so slightly the bottom layer causing a curve . When you alternate at each strip , each strip has its turn on the bottom... so all the strips will have that same slight gather... and be straight. I have been successful in avoiding alternating by starching my fabrics prior to cutting... it seems to ride the feed dogs better, and no curve.
It can also happen if your cuts are not on the straight of grain... and there is a ever so slight bias edge.. this can stretch as it feeds through the machine. Another is that all layers did not feed at the same tension going through the machine. If the top or bottom layer is more tought than it will curve.
Lori gave a good answer.

You can also use an even feed/walking foot/dual feed presser foot as you sew--some machines have them built in and some have them as an after market purchase.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:18 AM

You might also try shortening your stitch length.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Could be your sewing machine stretched the seams a bit. Or you did it when pressing. I don't think it's uncommon. There's also the possibility that your cutting was off by a tiny bit - just enough to throw off the squareness every few cuts.
this has happened to me on more than one occasion
Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Thank you Lori for this great explanation.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:16 AM

It might be your rotary blade needs changing. I had that happen & when I changed blades it stopped. I tend to forget to use new blades ever so often!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:28 AM

Lori's explanation is spot on, and I would only add that it's best to not sew the full width of fabric length - cut your strips in half and sew.