Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please!! >

Help please!!

Help please!!

Old 08-06-2014, 11:06 PM

Default Help please!!

I trying to increase a quilt block from 8.5 inches to twelve inches. After doing some searching I figured thought I would have to increase the 8.5 block by 140% in order to get a 12 inch block. Thought I was so smart! Did the necessary calculations to increase all the block pieces. Sewed the block together and it came out to 14 inches not the 12 inches I was looking for. Is there a calculation for increasing block sizes that I don't know about?? I'm so mathematically challenged! Can anyone help?
Old 08-06-2014, 11:11 PM

Did you deduct the seam allowance on each piece before sizing up? You need to deduct it, do the calculation, then add the seam allowance back on if that makes sense!
Old 08-07-2014, 02:02 AM

Sisty is right about the seam allowance. And, typically blocks don't finish at 8.5. The finished would normally be a whole number. If I divide 12 (what I want) by 8 (what I have), I get 1.5 which would be 150% upsize to go from 8 to 12. This is the size of the finished pieces. Then add your 1/4" seam back to all the sides before cutting. The seam itself stays the same. It is never upsized.

It does get more complicated to do a block with a lot of pieces. It is still the same process. What I would do is draw what you have calculated the piece size to be with no seam allowance added, on paper. Cut those out. Put them in place & measure. Did you get the finished size block you wanted? If not, fix it with the paper before wasting any fabric. Then, make sure you add your seam allowance on all sides of each piece of the block, before you cut into your fabric.

This lady explains it a whole lot better than I could.
http://blog.shopmartingale.com/quilt...-quilt-blocks/

Isn't quilting fun???

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 08-07-2014 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 AM

It would be 150 percent to get a 12 1/2 inch block
Old 08-07-2014, 03:52 AM

I never try to do those math calculations to change a block size. Too complicated. I just whip out my 12.5 inch ruler and draw the block. Then measure and add back the seam allowance.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

http://www.thequiltedsnail.com/scale.html

This chart is handy.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:55 AM

Good luck with increasing the size of your block -- you got some good advise here -- hope it makes sense to you.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sisty88 View Post
Did you deduct the seam allowance on each piece before sizing up? You need to deduct it, do the calculation, then add the seam allowance back on if that makes sense!
I use to be able to figure math out but not anymore. That is why I love my older version of EQ5. Was new and never used for $25.00. Makes increasing or shrinking a block a breeze.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:10 AM

I do the same as ManiacQuilter2. I draw the block in EQ7 as the stated size, then just change the size of the block.

One drawback I have found with EQ is that you have to know quilt block construction in order to make use of the info it provides. If you are a beginner quilter, you can design and draw and do a lot of stuff, but you have to know how to sew the parts & pieces to make them go together right. I quickly realized knowing basic block construction was one of the keys to using any EQ version successfully.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:20 AM

It would help to know what pattern you are using. Try http://www.quilterscache.com You may find your pattern in 12" there. I am a visual person, so I the draw the block in the original size, figure out the size of the finished (pieces no seam allowance). Then I figure the size needed to fill in the spaces for the larger block and add the 1/2" seam allowance. If that doesn't work for you, PM me a photo of the block and I will give it a try.