Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Please!!!  :) >

Help Please!!! :)

Help Please!!! :)

Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by stormatsea45
When I do any HST blocks, I always round them up to the next whole number, say the pattern says cut squares 2 7/8", I cut 3" squares. Then mark the diagonal mark point to point, sew a scant 1/4" on either side of the drawn line. Cut on the drawn line, press your seam, either open or to the dark side, being careful not to stretch, then trim to the correct size, which in this case, would be a 2 1/2" square. I found out a long time ago that a scant quarter inch seam works better because it allows for the fold which takes up a little bit of the final size of what ever you are making. It's easier to make the squares a little oversize and then trim than to be sad because it doesn't fit in your final block. Hope this helps, and hang in there. :thumbup:
Exactly what I do......great advice.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Thanks for this site, I did not know this either. :oops:
Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
How are you making your HST's? I find it easiest to cut two squares 1 inch larger than the finished size I want. Draw a diagonal line on on square. Sew 1/4 inch on each side of the line, cut apart and square up.

Here is a link that explains it well. The instructions say 7/8 inch larger but I do 1 inch. I refuse to measure 1/8!

http://quilting.about.com/od/quickpi...squaretria.htm
This is exactly how I teach beginners to make half-square triangles. Adding the full inch give a little fudge room and it's very easy to square up to the correct size. I also do this for quarter-square triangles - instead of adding 1-1/4 inches to the finished size, I add 1-1/2 inches and then square up to the correct size. Makes my life a lot more enjoyable. I once tried things out with adding the 7/8 inch - unless your sewing is absolutely perfect, they will not come out correctly - and I sure do not sew absolutely perfect!!! Ever!!!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM

This might help you out:

http://www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsq...glepaper.shtml
Old 01-05-2011, 02:33 PM

I always make my half sq triangles 1" larger than called for & then square them up to the correct size before sewing to the other squares . For example; if pattern calls for 2&1/2 " HST, cut both sq. 3& 1/2" draw & sew on the diagonal line & then press open , now resize to 2&1/2" It works every time & saves the frustration of working with 7/8" Good luck!!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 PM

I think I've seen a "formula" to correct that problem. If you need a 1.5" finished square, and you have to make half-square triangles, you cut your square 1 7/8". Konstantin may even written something about this, and I'm sure Penny Halgren has, too. But one of the easiest ways I've found yet to make HSTs is to put two 5" ot 6" (or whatever size you need) pieces of fabric together, right sides together, sew all around with a 1/4" seam, then cut diagonally both ways. Voila, four perfect HSTs. There's a video on YouTube by Missouri Quilt Co. on this neat technique. Their videos are the best! (Even I can follow them!)
Old 01-05-2011, 05:03 PM

When making half-square triangle blocks, cut a square of each fabric for the half-square 7/8" larger than the sewn measurement of the block it will be sewn to. Place the squares right sides together, and draw a line diagnally on the square. Sew 1/4 inch from this line, on both sides of the line. Cut on the drawn line and you will have two half-squares.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:20 PM

I use the easy angle ruler and my squares end up being the right size. Maybe thats becuase the instructions for our BOM were written really good. Thank goodness for local quilt shops.

If you have a lot cut - you have two choices trim the squares to the size of the 1/2 square triangle pieces or cut and make new triangle pieces.

Also - I made the same mistake when I started out. But I did not have the terrific board to help me.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:21 PM

I think the rule of thumb is to cut the pieces you are going to make into triangles need to be at least 7/8" larger. I may be wrong but they do need to be bigger. Some patterns are not clear. Use some scrap fabric and try some b4 u cut your fabric.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:56 PM

Trim up your squares to the same size as your half sq. triangles, then put it togather.