Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Help please

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P
    I agree with Julie and Jan . Also, the design is not planned with enough space around the letters to allow for 1/4" seams to be taken away. The letters might looked cramped. A little tyke might love his quilt to pieces, literally, so fewer seams could be a plus in this case.
    I agree. I like it the way it is, just add borders.

I'd use the panel as is! My grandchildren loved color more than organization at three -- and a bright panel was just as loved as something I had "created". As they got older, of course I made more 'personal' quilts for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Personally I think the randomness of the letters is a good learning tool, sort of a "where's waldo" kind of thing; I'd leave it as a panel.

You might make one narrow "stopper" border of white or black, then a border of random lengths of strips of fabric similiar to colors in this panel. A piano key border would work well, too.

Jan in VA
    Make it easy on yourself, and just add some borders to make it the size that you want your finished project to be.

Blog Entries
    Personally I think the randomness of the letters is a good learning tool, sort of a "where's waldo" kind of thing; I'd leave it as a panel.

You might make one narrow "stopper" border of white or black, then a border of random lengths of strips of fabric similiar to colors in this panel. A piano key border would work well, too.

Jan in VA
    I think Jan's idea would be great.

I agree to leave the panel in tact as is, add borders around to compliment colors. This will make a beautiful quilt!

Blog Entries

Jan in VA
    I would do the same as Jan. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Since it is for a 3 yr old. And you have all these letters, I would cut them up and have them spell out the childs name.
    Kids love their name. There are so many ways you could arrange the letters with sashing to creat a block with their name in it. It could be the focal point of the quilt. Then with the rest of the fabric you can cut it up for blocks, so none is wasted

I would leave it in one piece too, and quilt around all the letters, it will be beautiful and you can add borders to enlarge it some.

Power Poster
    I would keep the panel as is and use it as an I SPY quilt having him search for the letters ( what a great letter lesson) Add a couple of solid borders.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I would separate the rows WOF and add a sashing. I don't think I would want that little of a block to work with by taking each and every letter apart.. Add a border and go from there. To little of a piece between the i and j for instance. JMHO
    I noticed that horizonally, it is even, which may allow for cutting up the rows if you want to make it wider by adding a sashing. Then you can add a border of the same or different fabric, depending on what you want the color theme to be. That is the point where you add the batting (wadding) and the backing. Then the quilting happens, followed by the binding...

Blog Entries
    Words are random letters put together. The alphabet is OCD. I wouldn't spend the time to cut all those little blocks apart and sew them back together! I MIGHT cut them in half from top to bottom, add what's necessary to even up the sides, add borders. Then I'd sandwich it & quilt around each square. A baby quilt doesn't call for rocket science.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions, I made a small quilt with a blue fleece backing - I will try to upload a picture!

A bit blurry I'm afraid, but you get the idea!
    Name:  Attachment-136098.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  72.7 KB

QM
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    If it were me I would have to cut it up because my OCD would not allow for the randomness of the letters. I think if you will not lose any of the lettering cut it up and add different color sashing to each block to make them all the same size. I have 1 of these panels and that is what I will be doing with it.
    I agree. Kids find learning to basics of reading and writing confusing enough without changing the order on them. To maintain some semblance of sanity, I think I would enclose the letters with various sizes of colorful strips to bring them to a uniform size.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3