Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Please... thread in the back looks like a birdsnest >

Help Please... thread in the back looks like a birdsnest

Help Please... thread in the back looks like a birdsnest

Old 10-01-2014, 11:30 AM

re-thread the top and make sure you putting your presser foot down . I could not free motion on my pfaff sewing machine.It had a real problem with the upper tension.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:32 AM

Have to put the pressure foot down...
Old 10-01-2014, 11:57 AM

Are the thread snags on the front or back of the quilt? The title says on back but the picture looks like they are on the front. My Pfaff has a separate position that the presser foot has to be put into before free motion quilting with it. If I forget to move it into that position, I get major mess on the back of the quilt.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:50 PM

I have a Pfaff machine. When I piece my quilt my presser foot is all the way down. When I FMQ there is a button on the presser foot that I move in a down position so I can put presser foot halfway down. With this particular machine the presser foot MUST be in the halfway down position when FMQing in order to avoid birds nests on the back.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:07 PM

When I had this problem, I discovered I had the bobbin backwards in the bobbin case. I found this by starting back at square one with the machine manual and going step by step. I had been using this machine for 5 years, so why I suddenly did the bobbin backwards, I have no idea.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:32 PM

Excellent list of things to try - Bree123.

If I could add to your list:
- Vacuum out your machine (best way to get rid of fabric and thread fluff).
- Check your bobbin for broken pieces of thread that prevent the thread from pulling easily from the bobbin.
- Take a break. Wine or Chocolate works well. Some times problems just happen and they magically disappear after you have taken a break.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:55 PM

I have to be honest and say I am flabbergasted at everyone here who has said she needs to check her bobbin tension.

If this picture is showing the bottom or back of her quilt as she says it does, SHE NEEDS TO CHECK HER TOP TENSION.

As a general rule:

Problems on TOP of the quilt are a result of the BOTTOM thread.
Problems on BOTTOM of the quilt are a result of the TOP thread.

If you do not believe me, google "Thread nesting on bottom of quilt" and you will get hits from several professional quilters and sites stating the above to be true, not to mention the numerous posts in previous threads on this very board about this exact problem.

For example:

Conversely, the reasons that thread can bunch up underneath your fabric have all to do with your needle tension.

1. Is the needle thread threaded correctly?

Cut the thread a few inches from the spool, and pull it through the needle. Re-thread, taking care to engage the upper thread completely in the tension discs. I always suggest to my students that they hold the thread on either side of the tension disc, and slide it back and forth a bit between the plates with a flossing motion. The tension discs need to “grasp” the thread snugly.
2. Is the presser foot up?

Duh. We’ve all done it!
3. Is your machine clean?

Frequent dusting underneath the throat plate and along the thread path will prevent all sorts of stitching and machine problems. Of course, good quality thread, a new, sharp sewing machine needle, and the correct bobbins for your make and model of sewing machine are basic requirements for producing good quality stitches. Frequent dusting, cleaning and oiling will also prevent these and many other stitching problems you might encounter
Old 10-02-2014, 02:38 PM

Thanks for all of you who responded...Picture is the back of the quilt..I'm still trying to get the threads out of the quilt,it's pretty hard to do,when free motion calls for small stitches..Any ideas?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

are you doing free motion quilting?? If so, you need to pull the bobbin thread up and hold it and the top thread for a few stitches. That would prevent this.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:46 PM

Right now I'm trying to get all the birdsnest out of my quilt.