Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 6600 birdsnest HELP!!!! >

Janome 6600 birdsnest HELP!!!!

Janome 6600 birdsnest HELP!!!!

Old 12-26-2009, 09:47 AM

Hello to all and Happy Holidays
I have been lurking for almost 2 years...I feel like I know so many of you already. What a group of helpful and TALENTED quilters!!!
My DH bought me a JanomeMC6600 as an early Christmas gift. I made two quilts, cleaned the machine and set up for free motion quilting. OH WOE!!
It started out fine. Then I had to pick out a whole section because of the birdsnest of threads on the back. I cha
nged needles, bobbin and experimented with the tension. Now the birds nest has changed to intermittant train tracks.....arrrrrgggg Help!!!! I read several posts from others that have had this problem. I tried to call the QS where the machine was sold, but they are closed till Monday. Any suggestions?
Ditter43
Old 12-26-2009, 10:01 AM

Hi Ditter 43 What a great present! I also have a 6600. There is a bobbin case you can get that is made especially for FMQ. It is great for eliminating train tracks or eyelashes as we say in my "neck of the woods".
Old 12-26-2009, 10:04 AM

Don't get frustrated! Everyone has had these problems when first doing free motion. Unthread your machine, and rethread it, make sure the thread is in properly. Quilt a bit at a time, adjusting your tension until it looks good on the bottom and top. Quilt slowly! Almost every time I get problems it's from going too fast.
We all have good machines, just have to learn how they want to be used. Good luck, Mary
Old 12-26-2009, 10:20 AM

check to see if the thread jumped one of take up levers..it has been known to do that. i have the 6600.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by watterstide
check to see if the thread jumped one of take up levers..it has been known to do that. i have the 6600.
That's what happened on my Pfaff - what a mess. Mine was so bad, it totally locked the bobbin thread down and I had to take the plate up.

Congrats on your great present!!!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Banned

It sounds like the thread isn't in the spring on the left hand side of the tension knob. There are two hooks, (one is a hook and one is a hook) and you have to pull the thread way over to the right to get it in. It's easy to misthread, until you get used to doing it. There is a learning curve for threading this model correctly, but you'll get it. If it isn't threaded into both hooks correctly, you can do straight sewing, but not FMQ, or zig zag, etc.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:03 AM

maybe these will help..
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ion+quilt&aq=f

I re-read your post,have you checked your settings for FMQ?
Are you using the foot pedal or the start/stop button only?
when you get "train tracks",i call them eye lashes..your going around the corners to fast, possibly. here is some good info on FMQ'ing

http://tiny.cc/j3XHU

The hints and info you/I receive,on line..i printed them out, and added them to my manual for future reference!
i also have small post it's on my machine, for settings to remember..lol!
in my email program,i have a file just for my 6600.

1.Always wear gloves
2.Play some music that you love..upbeat kind of stuff..to help you get in the "zone"
3.always stipple on a sandwich before you start on the quilt.
4. hey, if a glass of wine relaxes you..have one! lol!
5. Breathe!
6.Walk way from her when your tired or frustrated..it will only get worse,if you continue.
7. after every quilt, clean her,change the needle, and add a drop of oil to the wick.she will reward you with years of joy!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 AM

I had this same problem until I got the other bobbin case. I even adjusted the tension on the existing case with now luck. For some reason, there is no back lash with the "blue" bobbin case for FMQ.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

My janome is famous for the thread jumping out of the take up arm. Check that out. It can sew right for hours them boom out it comes.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
maybe these will help..
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ion+quilt&aq=f

I re-read your post,have you checked your settings for FMQ?
Are you using the foot pedal or the start/stop button only?
when you get "train tracks",i call them eye lashes..your going around the corners to fast, possibly. here is some good info on FMQ'ing

http://tiny.cc/j3XHU

The hints and info you/I receive,on line..i printed them out, and added them to my manual for future reference!
i also have small post it's on my machine, for settings to remember..lol!
in my email program,i have a file just for my 6600.

1.Always wear gloves
2.Play some music that you love..upbeat kind of stuff..to help you get in the "zone"
3.always stipple on a sandwich before you start on the quilt.
4. hey, if a glass of wine relaxes you..have one! lol!
5. Breathe!
6.Walk way from her when your tired or frustrated..it will only get worse,if you continue.
7. after every quilt, clean her,change the needle, and add a drop of oil to the wick.she will reward you with years of joy!
What is the wick :?: