Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Quilt not speaking to me

Help! Quilt not speaking to me

I have been working on a quilt pattern called Chicopee with a twist- instead of using a 4 patch center block, I'm using a cherry pattern center block. Using my bed as a design wall, the quilt is not speaking to me. I plan to complete 7 more full size blocks and 5 half blocks for the ends on the rows. I was thinking of placing a 2 inch border in the green fabric that coordinates with the green in the cherry leaves. I am getting quite bored with this quilt but will finish a lap size to say its done. I am so done with it maybe because I think it lacks something or maybe I am just bored wi the color or lack of color in the fabrics.
    I thought of embroidering ants on the negative white space but DH says no...don't ruin the quilt.
    Any suggestions? Thanks Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2074
Size:  882.1 KB

Blog Entries
    I think it's great! The pattern is perfect for the colors you are using! But I do agree with hubby...no ants!

Blog Entries
    I don't know what you are bored with. It is going to be beautiful. Finish it! Or put it back for a while, then finish it. It is going to be very pretty. You're just tired of sewing the same thing over and over. Do one block a day or a week.

I like your quilt - the colors work well with each other. Keep on with it, you will like it in the end.

Your quilt looks good. Are you going to use sashing?

I hadn't planned on using sashing as it seemed to distract my eyes from the block too much. IMHO

Blog Entries
    sometimes one just has to move to a different project for a bit. it's a great quilt and you can finish it later when you feel better about it.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I agree with others, when you are bored to death with a project it's time to put it away for a bit and move on to something else. Also, no ants on this one, I think it's lovely as is.

Sash it with black but do not put ants on it. Good luck. I like the simplicity of this quilt. Hugs

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
    I have been working on a quilt pattern called Chicopee.... Using my bed as a design wall, the quilt is not speaking to me.
    Maybe if you put it on the floor instead of on the bed, it would be less sleepy and therefore more talkative!

I like it though!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

That is so pretty and will make a beautiful quilt. However as the others have said if you are not happy with it just put it away for later. I have had to do that with a lot of my projects.

I hadn't planned on using sashing as it seemed to distract my eyes from the block too much. IMHO
    Big wide sashing does distract from the blocks most of the time. One of my guilds had a class from Debbie Caffrey and she uses really narrow sashing and it becomes a design element and can really help pull the blocks together. But where your block are offset I'm not sure how sashing would work.

I really like your quilt! The colors are great!! Maybe you have just spent too much time with it lately?

Dina

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omacookie View Post
    Sash it with black but do not put ants on it. Good luck. I like the simplicity of this quilt. Hugs
    I agree with Omacookie, I would sash in a 2in (finished at 1.5in) or 1.5in (finished at 1in) solid black. This would create a frame around each block, even with the offset it would look nice. Then I would frame out the whole center in a solid black border same size as the sashing, then a wider border in a plain black/white gingham. I would bind in a solid black with a small solid red flange or piping. I would then quilt it using leaves and meanders with loops and twirls in the green that matches the green in the cherries.

That is how I would finish the quilt.

Love your quilt - the color balance is perfect. I wouldn't use sashing, nor would I put ants on it --- its going to be a beautiful quilt. I think I'd put a red sashing the same width as in the center of the quilt, and then double that size with black for an outer border. Simplicity is good....can't wait to see it done!

Blog Entries
    Name:  Pressed_red_flower_blossoms_by_Enchantedgal_Stock.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  152.0 KBI think it's a lively quilt, a happy quilt. I have one with a yellow in it. I don't like. It's in a drawer (I'm ashamed to say). It has a yellow that really should never be there... UNTIL - I thought. it looks like sun peeking through a window soooooooooooooooooooooooo ! I'm using my creative quilt cutting (non skills) and am going to see if I can somehow salvage it into a log cabin type block... even if it is a skewed one and ------even------ if it turns into a table cloth or a curtain or - a table topper, wall hanging or... place mats!!! So, even IF.. you don't see " feel " Your quilt... right now, you will. And when I looked at it. I saw happy and bright shiny , I felt summer day and lovey joy... soooo ( I agree with no ants though) but maybe a flower blossom? I think there were a berry fruit on there could not quite tell which kind? Just maybe? or no...?
    Last edited by SumikoKeel; 08-25-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added Cherry Flowers

Blog Entries
    I think it is a lovely quilt. If it were to be used as a picnic quilt, then the ants might be fun. Otherwise, no ants. Some decorative quilting in the white area will make this a beautiful quilt. Don't give up. If you still hate it when you are finished, it will look lovely draped across the back of my couch.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Thank-you all for your suggestions. I never thought of framing the center- very interesting idea that I will play with along with the boarder with piping. Hmmmmm. I took a break from these blocks and focused on a design I created using redwork embroidery blocks and 2 inch patches. I must say I refound my mojo. I had an aha moment when I felt happy. It's when I creat a design on graph paper and execute it rather than following directions from a pattern.
    Had two machines humming today: my janome 12000 creating the redwork and my good old Viking Emerald 118 sewing the patches. Pure bliss.

It often helps to walk away from a project for awhile if you are having second thoughts, having doubts or being unsure as to the next step. It has happened to me a few times. It helps to leave it on the design wall and look at it once in a while...and then something happens! What a lovely moment.

I wonder how it would look 'on point' with a narrow red or black sash between blocks?

The blocks are great, by the way, but I know exactly what you mean when you say you're done with it. Put it away and rest your eyes for awhile, then go back to it. It'll regain some of it's lost appeal and you'll probably be able to finish it.

Blog Entries
    It's your quilt...do what you want with it,but I would put it in " time out" and let it " ripen" a while. I thinks it's a lovely quilt
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

I think I would add sashing around the blocks in black. I would sew small 4 patch blocks in black and red together to create a strip for the border and bind it using the red.

I love it... it's going to be a great quilt. No sashing OR ants! It will really come alive when you quilt the white spaces. Maybe some feathers would be outstanding.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love the simplicity of the pattern--could be because I'm working on a church dash. Agree with DH==don't add ants! Are you going to add a border or just go straight to binding? I would carry the simplicity theme through to just adding a border IMHO.

i vote on sashing betweeen the blocks, but it certainly is lovely the way it is

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast