Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
speaking of threads, could use help with sulky >

speaking of threads, could use help with sulky

speaking of threads, could use help with sulky

Old 07-01-2010, 08:07 PM

I normally use Auriful and Isocod as I found seversl sites thast I can get them quite cheaply and I just prefer them. I am doing some embroidery ojn a baby quilt, but not on a hoop. I'm actually using a series of 3 little decorative stitches to run dow the side of an inside seam. Because of the color of bsck which is so prety, I am using a light lavender bobbin thread. and while the top thread is the Auriful cream, that's not a problem. But for this preticular decorative stitch I fround a stunning viarigated sulky thread that is so adorable eccept for one thing... no matter what I have tried, it breaks. I will admit it is a little heavier then I am used to using, but I am at the point that I hasve to keep going or I will have a very unsightly mess if I decide to snip it all out. I am not close to the sewing machine right now, so I am unsure what the weight is. Does Sulky carry more then one weight? And since this is not going to happen again, can I have some recomendations on the varigated threads that would work well as the top thread for this work. Would appreciated. Since I can not stay at the machine for very long, I try to get as much done as I can. So any suggestions to get me passed this particular problem would be asppreciated.

Blue
Old 07-01-2010, 08:12 PM

This doesn't answer your question, but where do you get Auriful cheaply? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks, Carol.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 PM

I have a list over on my other computer, Ill pull them and post them for tomorrow.. hugs
Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 PM

are you using embroidery thread for the decorative stitches? What fiber is the thread that's breaking?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:19 PM

I am not an expert, but have used the sulky variegated thread. When I was buying it, I did note that some was 30wt and some was 40wt. I just looked and I have Sulky that is 30wt, and YLI that is 40wt and Signature that is also 30wt. I have not had any problem with any of it, in fact I recently quilted a QFK's quilt using the Sulky 30wt and had no problem. I do think that I used a slightly larger eyed needle. I didn't use a fancy stitch with that quilt, but have used the same thread with a fancy stitch and a larger need with no problem. I also went a little slower than normal.

Here are some links to info on needle size and threads:

http://quiltbus.com/machine-needle.htm

http://www.quiltbug.com/articles/thread-theory.htm

http://www.sulky.com/faqs/faq_001.php

Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Tristanthreads.com for cheap aurifil.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Power Poster

Do you need to change the tesion for the difference in the weight of the thread? I know that I have to do this sometimes on the longarm. I haven't had any problem with embroidery, but it is a thought.

I really like Isacord but it is very expensive here. Where do they have it more reasonable?

Also, I thought Isacord came out with a set of just a few varigated thread. I could be wrong it has been quite awhile since I was in the store, maybe they changed their minds. I am just not sure.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:20 AM

Sulky makes 30 wt and 12 wt in the cotton threads (pretty sure their rayon is 40 wt). I used 30 wt for a competition quilt because Sulky was a sponsor and using it made you eligible for additional prizes.

I will never use it again and am now stuck with 17 spools of multiple colors of the stuff. It breaks, leaving fluffy ends, and is really annoying to unstitch for that reason as well. My longarmer almost refused to finish quilting the piece with it because it broke so often. She'll never use it again either.

I do use the 12 wt for decorative hand stitching, but Sulky will never see my sewing machine again. And the competition? Every entrant received...you guessed it...a free spool of Sulky thread. Big whoopie... :roll:
Old 07-02-2010, 02:37 AM

Thanks Nursie76 for those 3 links.....Great Info!
It sounds like your issue may be thread size and content (cotton, poly or rayon?), and needle type and size. It will all come together..you just need to find the right tool for the job....these gals are great...someone will have your answer!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

a bigger needle (the eye) and loosening the top tension will help with the sulky thread, if the eye is too small it frays the thread as it goes through...i like the yli varigated threads but have experienced the same problem with them it is not just sulky. also 'sewers aid' helps, it is a liquid (in a bottle that looks like fray-check...do not get them mixed up) the sewers aid is a 'thread conditioner' which helps cut down on fraying and helps the thread run smoothly through your machine (like waxing for hand sewing) sometimes it makes a difference what you are putting in your bobbin too. once you get it to work make notes about your tension settings and needle being used so you can set up the same for the next time.