Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
speaking of threads, could use help with sulky >

speaking of threads, could use help with sulky

speaking of threads, could use help with sulky

Old 07-02-2010, 05:24 AM

I had the same issue on my embroidery machine with the proper needle/thread. Now no matter what I am sewing on it is always a topstitch needle. Since I started doing this I have had NO issues of any kind with my threads.

I also invested in the new needles that are suppose to last longer. They were cheaper at my LQS then the Schmetz at Jo-anns! They are great.

Good luck on your project.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:56 AM

What is the brand name of the needles that are supposed to last longer?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:16 AM

I pulled out the thread that I am using for my top stitches and it is indeed Cotton Sulky thread, No weight shown, but it does say use a size 90/10 needle. When my LQS went out of business I purchased a huge selections of machine needles and not one has a 90/10. They all have 90/14, I am sure if I open my book it will explain the meaning of the needle sizes that I would not normally need. But I am going to run a sample stitch with the 90.14 needle and see how it does. But this thread is much heavier then my standard quilting thread. Has anyone else had a problem with sizes of threads verus needles. I am not quite as educated in this avenue of quilting.

Originally Posted by bluestarmom
I normally use Auriful and Isocod as I found seversl sites thast I can get them quite cheaply and I just prefer them. unsightly mess if I decide to snip it all out. I am not close to the sewing machine right now, so I am unsure what the weight is. Does Sulky carry more then one weight? And since this is not going to happen again, can I have some recomendations on the varigated threads that would work well as the top thread for this work. Would appreciated. Since I can not stay at the machine for very long, I try to get as much done as I can. So any suggestions to get me passed this particular problem would be asppreciated.

Blue
Old 07-02-2010, 10:21 AM

Are you using an upright spool pin? I have found that sulky likes to be upright rather than laying down. I have a Janome 11000 and if I put it on the horizontal spool pin it breaks. If I put it on the vertical spool pin it does just fine.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:31 AM

if the # on the spool starts with 713 it is 12 weight thread--if it starts with 733 it is 30 weight thread. I don't know what size spool you have. the spool that has 330 yards on it is 12 weight it's listed on the paper disc on either side of the spool. the spool that has 500 yards is a 30 weight thread. the label is brown and white. the 12 weight thread label is brown , white and orange. hope this helps. Anne
Old 07-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
Are you using an upright spool pin? I have found that sulky likes to be upright rather than laying down. I have a Janome 11000 and if I put it on the horizontal spool pin it breaks. If I put it on the vertical spool pin it does just fine.
That is also how I used it. It is wound more horizontally on the spool and other thread like Metler is wound sort of diagonally on the spool. My Bernina dealer said when wound horizontally it should be put upright and when wound diagonally, it should be laid down.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:25 PM

Follow up on the question of the Isocord threads. SewLess.com is running their hoiday and the Isocord Threads are marked down again for the sale. I have my list of color #'s and hopefully I may just finally have my house of thread in complete order. In addition everything I believe is on sale and the pricing is excellent.

Enjoy your weekend.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:51 PM

bluestarmom, here's a needle size and thread chart that may help. http://raphaelsewing.com/blog/?p=11 Also, there is no such thing as a 90/10 needle. They are 70/10 and 90/14.