Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!   reworking size of flying geese >

HELP!!! reworking size of flying geese

HELP!!! reworking size of flying geese

Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 AM

Default HELP!!! reworking size of flying geese

I need the finished size of strip to be 14" x 4". I worked hours yesterday and finally gave up. Decided it was "Chemo Brain" and went to bed. Now to start all over this morning. I am reworking a pattern to make it larger. It has several appliqued panels with Ohio stars surrounding the center panel. No problem there I just added enough to center to equil another Ohio star....Problem is the strips of flying geese through out the design. I need the finished size to be 14" x 4", I am using 1/4" seams. There are to be 8 geese in each strip. I can feel the frustration beginning. I know you ladies and gents can figure it faster than me. HELP! and THANKS SO VERY MUCH.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but finished flying geese are twice as wide as they are tall. If you want 8 geese in 14", each one is 1.75" in one dimension, which makes it either half that (.875) or twice that (3.5) in the other direction. I think you will need to use filler strips to take up this space.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:29 AM

I agree with Dunster. Here is a link for making flying geese with no waste.

http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf

You could also try drafting out what you want and making your own paper piece pattern.

http://whynotsew.blogspot.com/2011/0...d-pattern.html
These geese are wonky, but just make yours even. If you want a spacer, add that in between the
geese.

Oh, and take a DEEP BREATH! No reason to panic...its FABRIC! :grin:::

Last edited by soccertxi; 03-08-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Well ladies after careful consideration I have decided to make my own templates and cut from there. I am going to use at least three layers of freezer wrap ironed together to make the template strong enough to reuse. I am hoping there will be less waste of fabric as I am tight on some of my selection. (trying to use stash). Thanks for the suggestions and the links were helpful. Thought of paper piecing but all the geese are same size so I think templates will be quicker.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Are your geese facing point up, or point to the side?? It would solve the problem Dunster brings up if they were pointing sideways. You would cut each rectangle at 4.5" x 2.5" and the snowball (triangle) for the geese at 2.5" square. You would have SEVEN in a 14" finished strip that way.

Jan in VA

This graphic is not drawn to accuracy, is just meant to show the direction they are pieced.
Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg  
Old 03-09-2013, 09:55 AM

Thanks Jan. They point sideways. I like your idea. I may change to seven geese. Can't see what diff it makes if seven or eight geese. They are just at the bottom of a few appliqued rectangle to take up dead space.