Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help! Sage Advice Needed...

I usually see before I sew which way they need to go. Stick a pin in going up one way and the other going down, then they will nest. If they don't work out that way then I do the seam allowance east and west then flip it back. I only FMQ and go around the intersections to avoid the thick intersections.
    I don't want to change needles.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Well if anyone is still following this thread, here is a picture of my progress to date. Three rows of of eight total done. It is not perfect, but I am going with close enough! This quilt has been a bit of a challenge for me, way more than I anticipated, having taken the quilt at face value and not getting overly analytical about the construction details. I mean, how bad could it be, right. Looks simple. But with the method provided and resulting biased block edges and resultant thick seam points and non-nesting seams, I've had my hands full after thinking I'd have it whipped together in no time! Ha! Anyway, to answer the odd question, I do my own quilting, now on a Longarm and plan to do a custom treatment TBD, so do plan to ditch it. As it stands now, the only open seams are those running thru the middle of the squares, so it won't be a problem. I do really like the look so far of the quilt, but if I were to make it again, I'd take a long look at the process first and see if there is an easier way. The fabric is a jelly roll of Southern Exposure by Laundry Basket Quilts and a Moda batik from the Wild Waves collection. Thanks for all of your advice and comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A truly beautiful quilt, Kwiltr. Your point matching is unbelievably perfect. Who cares where the seams lie on the back. I know a judge would find those bulky spots, but the rest of us for the rest of our lives can just enjoy the gorgeous quilt.
    The reason I'm still on this thread is because I always check the "latest posts" on my profile site. I always have to check to see if anyone has read my posts and answered them. So, I'll be checking this tomorrow! ! ! !
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    A truly beautiful quilt, Kwiltr. Your point matching is unbelievably perfect. Who cares where the seams lie on the back. I know a judge would find those bulky spots, but the rest of us for the rest of our lives can just enjoy the gorgeous quilt.
    The reason I'm still on this thread is because I always check the "latest posts" on my profile site. I always have to check to see if anyone has read my posts and answered them. So, I'll be checking this tomorrow! ! ! !
    Thanks! They aren't perfect, but I got enough of them so far, I've created an illusion . The thing about this pattern is the blocks are created from strip sets that requires the pressing to allow for nesting the sets so you get accurate cutting. Then the blocks are laid out randomly to make a "pleasing arrangement". So the only options are to work with the blocks as is, from the previous pressing, or re press all the seams in the blocks to suit your final block arrangement, and they are all biased edges at that point, which keeps things challenging. I suppose one could try pressing all the seams open from the start to keep it flat, but then the matching of the seams is still a challenge, without the bulk issue and ditching would have to be beside the seam. Oh well, chalk it up to a learning experience! Thanks for your participation!

You sound a bit frustrated ..... this is definitely a time to be using Best Press!!

My avatar quilt is much the same pattern.
    I made it before I knew the merits of Best Press (or even starch), and had few problems.
    However, I did learn the merits of good pressing practices during the preparatory stages
    and at every step along the way.

You have a beautiful quilt in the works and that alone will be worth keeping at it!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    You sound a bit frustrated ..... this is definitely a time to be using Best Press!!

My avatar quilt is much the same pattern.
    I made it before I knew the merits of Best Press (or even starch), and had few problems.
    However, I did learn the merits of good pressing practices during the preparatory stages
    and at every step along the way.

You have a beautiful quilt in the works and that alone will be worth keeping at it!
    l

Thank you! I used Faultless spray starch on the jelly roll strips before using them and I am extremely careful when I press these blocks due to the bias edges. I was just mentioning them as a point of interest or consideration needing extra care and time when piecing. I also have and use Best Press, but find if I really want stability, spray starch is a stronger choice for me. Thank you for your support/encouragement.

I have never heard of Faultless ... we can't get spray starch here any more.
    I agree Best Press does not give as much stability as a full on starch.
    Some of the LQS' now carry "Flatter" instead of Best Press.
    I have tried it, but IMHO it has nothing in it ... I might as well just use a water spritzer.

Your starch should have things nailed down pretty good for you.
    .... plus will have any fraying stopped flat!!
    It will make for a nice clean back.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I have never heard of Faultless ... we can't get spray starch here any more.
    I agree Best Press does not give as much stability as a full on starch.
    Some of the LQS' now carry "Flatter" instead of Best Press.
    I have tried it, but IMHO it has nothing in it ... I might as well just use a water spritzer.

Your starch should have things nailed down pretty good for you.
    .... plus will have any fraying stopped flat!!
    It will make for a nice clean back.
    Ahhh. I see now you are from Canada too. Sorry, I buy my starch in the US when I'm there. Just like Colour Catchers...

Quote Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
    Ahhh. I see now you are from Canada too. Sorry, I buy my starch in the US when I'm there. Just like Colour Catchers...
    I didn't know whether the starch thing was just an eastern issue!

I solved the Colour Catcher problem and buy Dr. Beckmann's.
    I can get them here in Metro and Sobeys. Not sure whether you can. Or not?
    Though I do stockpile them, for fear that they will disappear at some point too!!

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Whatever you have been doing, in the end it has been well worth it .... well, I did not have to do any of the work so maybe it's not fair of me to say that. lol However, the quilt is so lovely that when it is all over, you will have made a most beautiful quilt due in part to the fabrics/colors used and in your pursuit of making it as best you can. Figuring out what works for you in this design and what doesn't is a real education I suppose. So glad I have continued to follow along and learned a bit or two (or three, four, etc.) from your experiences. In the end it will be fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
    We can't get Sta-Flo starch in the grocery store here in Wisconsin either. I found it on line and then heard you could buy it at Walmart. I got mine there. Sure works well. I dilute it to one part Sta-Flo to 4 parts water. I use the sprayer that came with my Best Press about 5 years ago.

Another place for a really good spray bottle is at your beauty salon. It sprays mist, not drops.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2