Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help-scalloped binding >

help-scalloped binding

help-scalloped binding

Old 10-25-2021, 07:12 AM

Default help-scalloped binding

I am going to try to do a scalloped border with bias binding (2 new techniques for me). I will mark the scallops on the quilt top, and then sew the binding on to the marked scallops BEFORE cutting them out. This is what the pattern says to do, and I see from online tutorials that this will prevent having to sew the bias binding to the (cut scalloped) bias edge. However, I cannot find how to join the ends of the binding if I do it this way. Is it just the normal way, bu tucking in the tail? In my head, I can't see how that will work, but maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong. Please help, I don't want to ruin this quilt! TIA
Old 10-25-2021, 07:46 AM

Just did a quick google search and found the Gourmet Quilter has a nice video, although she does cut hers into scallops first.
I have only made one before and just joined mine in the usual manner.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

I believe Ankastreasures has good videos or pictures on her site. It is best to sew on the bias binding before cutting the edge because it prevents the scallops from stretching. The deeper the peaks and valleys are, the harder it is to do the turns.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Sarge1 ... when I am trying something new and am uncertain, I do something small, such as a runner, to get a feel for the how-to and to help avoid any big mishaps when I get to my real project! Perhaps this would work for you, this time round?
Old 10-25-2021, 11:46 AM

I've done a couple of scalloped bindings and I join the ends the same as on regular quilts, I just make sure the join ends up on one of the hills of the scallop.

However, I do not tuck the ends of my bindings, I think that looks sloppy. I join them on a 45°. Here is a video that best shows how I do it. https://youtu.be/P1srfubwAIQ?t=135

Your binding strips need to overlap by the width of your binding strip. In other words, if your binding is 2 1/2", then overlap the ends of the binding by 2 1/2". If it's 2 1/4", then overlap by 2 1/4".
Old 10-25-2021, 02:25 PM

I make scallops with dips that are not deep, just a slight curve downward and back up. no need for bias binding.
now the ends of the binding i connect the same way I do on flat quilts. I do them the easy way, for me. My binding is 2 1/2 inches wide so when I get near the start again, I leave binding unstitched maybe 10 inches on each end for this, I flatten the binding on my right (near where i started) and then take the left end and fold it near the cut of the first main section. i slip a small ruler under and push it against that fold, slide the ruler up a bit from beneath the binding so i can see where the 2 1/2 inch mark is. then i cut the excess off right there.
Then take the two ends and fold them over each other just like you did when joining all those pieces. pin it if necessary, I do, and sew diagonally like joining. Now it is joined. flatten it out and see if it fits well. not too loose or to tight. Yea! fiddle with the seam allowance(forgot to say trim that) and flatten it down nicely. Sew away and all done. Hope that is fairly clear.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:07 PM

I just taught the scalloped binding class. Here are a couple tips. Put a big pin straight into each point, so you know where to pivot. It will feel like you need to pivot sooner, so the pin helps you know when you're there. The scalloped edges will lay flatter if you don't cut into the points of the scallops. I don't cut the edge of my scallops until after the binding is sewn on. I finish my binding with the 45 degree cut and sew method -- as described by the other quilters.