Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with sewing batiks >

Help with sewing batiks

Help with sewing batiks

Old 12-15-2011, 04:28 AM

Sometimes, when you want to do extra stitching, it is a good idea to just use fusible thread as the outline only, in order to just keep the pieces in place. Then you have soft,pliable fabric to sew through.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:54 AM

I did something similar to this one year. IT IS LOVELY.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 AM

I had the same issue when quilting a baby blanket. I started quilting it with a standard needle and realized I forgot to switch to a quilting needle about half way through my first echoed block. I finish the block and then switched needles. Then the trouble happened. My machine would not quilt. I put a piece of practice sandwich together and tried adjusting the stitch length and it would still skip stitches. After a huge mental breakdown, (because it was two weeks until Christmas and I still had gifts to finish), my husband suggested I google it! With two seconds I found a list of reasons why a sewing machine skips stitches. The number one reason is the needle! Try changing your needle, it worked for me! Good luck and Merry Christmas! Here is the link if it is not the needle, http://sewing.about.com/od/sewingmac...roubleshot.htm
Old 12-15-2011, 07:40 AM

I,m no help with the fusible but the wall hanging is beautiful Great job.
I,m sure the experts on here will be more than glad to help you. Good luck
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 AM

Can't help you with your question but I just LOVE the nativity pattern.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:00 AM

Hi Pat,
I use a 70/10 microtex needle when I sew batiks. I don't get skipped stitches anymore.
Sharon W. in Texas
Old 12-16-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Connie M. View Post
I agree. You need to use the type of fusible that is made to be stitched through, but I have even had my needles gum up some with that. What I do is clean the needle good with denatured alcohol, if it has gummed up, then rub a little "Sewer's Aid" on the needle and run a bead of Sewers Aid from bottom to top on the spool of thread. You can buy Sewers Aid at JoAnns in the notions dept. It is a silicone type liquid in a little bottle, and it wont stain your fabric. It works on most things where you have trouble with skipped stitches and the like. Sometimes a bigger needle than usual helps too. Hope some of these ideas help. Post a pic when you get it done. It will be gorgeous.
Please what ever you do, DO NOT put sewers aid on the thread only on the tip of the needle. I have a lot of people bring me their machines in for repair because of tension issues and I find that they put sewers aid on thread like you are describing and it gets into the tension disc and clogs everthing up. Just put on the eye of the needle only and reapply every 5 minutes of sewing if necessary. However that said it is probably the fusible and the batting combined. I would try a larger eye needle.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:05 AM

Hi, I found that my machine will do that and more if I don't keep it real clean; so I keep a little eye makeup brush close at hand. But yes that sticky fusable is a problem but I found I can use the non-stick and a little glue stick on the side or middle temporarily to help. Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 AM

Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice on this because I did the same quilt, quilted it and didn't have a problem. But I did do a stipple stitch over the entire wallhanging rather than following the leading....