Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with sewing machine belt. >

Help with sewing machine belt.

Help with sewing machine belt.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:46 PM

Default Help with sewing machine belt.

I have an older model commercial singer that needs a belt. It is on a great table set up on an old treadle machine base. It does a great job, but like I said needs a belt. It also takes up quite a bit of room, since the table is a large one made for quilting. Does anyone know where I might get a belt to fit this machine?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 PM

If you know the measurement, then sew-classic.com has them. I like to take the broken belt into my sewing machine repair shop and go through the box to find the most nearly matching one.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:42 AM

When I worked at a sewing factory, some of us needed tractor belts from the parts store. They broke a lot less and lasted longer. They seemed to be made out of cloth and some sort of strandy stuff like a radial tire.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by knlsmith View Post
When I worked at a sewing factory, some of us needed tractor belts from the parts store. They broke a lot less and lasted longer. They seemed to be made out of cloth and some sort of strandy stuff like a radial tire.
I was wondering about a tractor supply store and if they would work. I had the old one in my car in a Wal-Mart bag, but some how it got thrown out. I was wondering if maybe I could use a string and wrap it around and use that as a measurement. Has anyone tried this?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 PM

Yes, string will work. You want to get a 'V' shaped belt. You can get them at auto parts stores or Tractor Supply. If you go this route buy the belt you think you need and the size above it and the size below it - trust me. You can return the ones you don't use. Another thing you can use is 1/2 inch clear tubing and a connector from the plumbing section of Lowes or Tractor Supply. I had a really old table and a newer clutch motor. I had a very difficult time finding a 'V' belt to fit. My old Sewing Machine Guy told me about the tubing. He said this was for emergency or light use only until I could get a proper belt. I used the tubing set up for quite awhile with no problems but I did keep a watch on the connection. You can also get on Ebay and order a 3/8 inch leather industrial sewing machine belt. It will come with a wire connector and instructions for installation - this is my preferred method.
I hope this helps you out. - Tracy