Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help! Should I tie or quilt this?

I would tie it......

Were any of the Civil War quilts tied with darning thread? I would probably use rayon yarn so it doesn't shrink up when washed as wool yarn might. Wonderful quilt
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Very pretty quilt. I learned several tings from just this posting today. I have learned so many things here on this board. I tie comforters with either DMC thread, sis strands or crochet thread, never used yarn.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

It is kind of funny -- my mom's LWR quilting group tied with yarn for years. I think LWR started recommending crochet thread a few years back, and we know it is much easier to pull through. The ladies doing the tying resisted change, but finally gave in a tried the crochet thread. Now they wouldn't go back. These are older ladies who have pliers on hand to help them pull the ties through when necessary.

That said, I do know of a lady (similar to the case of WMD926) whose granddaughter requested yarn, because she wanted those "nubbies". Most yarn ties after many washings do become more of a "nubbie" than a tie.

Dayle

this really looks great as is... and i think tie it would be great and i know father in law will love it... if not send it may way..lol... beautiful job.

I would also tie it using pearle cotton, since it is more accurate of the times and would use an old wool blanket if you have it - that would be historically accurate as well.

I agree with dunster, I think the quilt look fabulous as it it and giving my opinion for what it is worth, tie it! Would seem more authentic!

I fully agree that to tie it would be the best and most period correct, I would back it with muslin, which would also be
    the most period correct. Have fun and watch your father-in-law enjoy his new quilt.

I love it, as is. It adds to the authenticity of being a scrap quilt. Please don't rearrange it! Definitely tied with perle cotton. Your FIL will love the fact that you took so much time to make something this beautiful for him! Please post finished pics!

Do not use pearl cotton to tie a quilt. We used that as per the instruction of our 4-H leader, and within a few months all the ties were coming loose. I pulled each tie tight again and used Fray-check to keep them tight. I had made a second quilt at the same time and sent it to Kentucky with a group that were going to work at the missions. I can't get it out of my mind that I sent something that was going to fall apart in a short time. These people have so few nice items, I had hoped I was sending something that would be useful and would last.
    I usually tie with yarn. If you use wool yarn, the more the quilt is washed, the tighter the tie gets.

Nice quilt,a meander quilting would look good on your quilt.I personally don't like tied ones.Tacking also is an idea.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    It really doesn't need rearranging - looks great as it is.
    I agree. It's great the way it is now. Love the choice of fabrics.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Your quilt is gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing

Beautiful quilt. I agree with the tying. Have a camera ready to capture the look on your FIL's face when he receives his gift.

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    Definitely tie it, make sure you use real square knots (right over left, left over right) and not granny knots, which come loose. Also, Cotton crochet thread, rayon is too slick and will come undone even if you do square knots. May your FIL snuggle under your beautiful quilt in good health for many more years!
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2