Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help with SITD

Help with SITD

I have a question Iím hoping someone could help me with. I am working on a queen-size log cabin barnraiser quilt, using the QAYG in sections method. I have all my blocks done and I have sewn together two sections with the batting (adding the backing later). I had planned on doing SITD around each log, however, this seems to be a monumental task Ė and Iíve only done one block!! On top of that Iím using invisible thread for the first time! What Iím wondering is if I only SITD around the center square and around the outside log of each block, would that be enough quilting to hold it together? Iím using Warm & White needled cotton batting, nylon thread in the top and cotton 50 wt in the bottom. I hope Iíve explained it well enough! Hereís a picture of the blocks laid out. Thanks in advance for any help!
    Marilynn
    Name:  IMG_1130.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  53.7 KB

I believe that one can go up to 10 inches between quilting lines.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Your batting will have instructions on how far apart your quilting needs to be. Some says every four inches others are as far away as eight inches. If your center block and your outside log are within those inches you will be OK. If not you will need to go around one more set of logs. Your quilt is very lovely by the way.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Double check your package, but I believe you can go up to 10 inches apart. Your top is beautiful!

When you're doing your stitching, do you stitch each block as one continuous line, or are you breaking thread a number of times? If you're breaking thread, that may be adding to the feeling that it is a huge task.

Your batting package gives the maximum distance between stitching lines, but more dense quilting will make the quilt more durable. I would encourage you to stick to outlining all (or most) of the logs - your quilt is too pretty to have it weakened by minimal quilting.

This is how I would do the quilting - one continuous spiral, from the centre out. The ends of the logs aren't stitched, but it should be fast and easy.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 344
Size:  94.4 KB

Thank you all! I never thought to look at the packaging, and, yes, it does say 10". But, now I'm thinking I might go with Jennifer23's suggestion. It makes sense that I could skip some of the seams, since the quilting doesn't really show anyway. When I tried doing each log, I was able to stay stitch, then move to a new log, but even with that there was a lot of breaking thread. I appreciate the suggestions and the compliments!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
    This is how I would do the quilting - one continuous spiral, from the centre out. The ends of the logs aren't stitched, but it should be fast and easy.

thanks for showing the continuous line log cabin quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T Ė is it True? H Ė is it Helpful? I Ė is it Inspiring? N Ė is it Necessary? K Ė is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Like that idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post

No matter what the package says about quilting distance. I never quilt over 3-4". I bought a comforter years ago and it was stitched really far apart. It made it very hard to handle it and the batting did shift and ended up in a bunch.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.