Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with slightly wavy borders >

help with slightly wavy borders

help with slightly wavy borders

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

There are times when 'good enough IS good enough' -

But if there was a comparatively easy 'fix' for what I consider a problem - I think I would fix it, or it would bother me forever!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I never have wavy borders. I'm not the best quilter by far, but for some reason (knock on wood) my borders always lay flat. I don't know what I do 'right' to make them lay flat. I know I don't measure my quilt in the middle. Never have. I don't measure it anywhere. I just make sure I have enough border (always a few inches extra) to go from one end to the other and sew it. And I never have wavy borders. My LAer told my LQS owner that she is very impressed with my sewing. I was shocked because I don't do the things that everyone else does - like measure the middle of the quilt and make your borders that size. But it works for me and I'm not changing.
Just watched a tutorial from Jennie at Missouri Quilt. When putting on a border make sure you sew the border on top. This will help prevent waving. It's worth a try. Good luck

Gail
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 AM

Here's one of those "you should always" things that's actually good advice. You should always sew the borders on with the border fabric on top and the quilt next to the feed dogs. Here's why, unless you're using a machine with an even feed system or a walking foot the fabric on the bottom always feeds ever so slightly more than the top fabric. It "eases" the bottom fabric. If you sew with the border on the bottom it will ease it to the quilt top and make them ruffly.

I never measure. I pin the borders on from the center out and sew with the border on top. I have a Pfaff with dual feed and I still always sew my borders on with the border fabric on top.