Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help/suggestions needed. >

help/suggestions needed.

help/suggestions needed.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:36 AM

My two cents.... backing and when you quilt it quilt the design of the fabric. As for borders I would make them bigger to accommodate the fabric. This is just me. If you are going to cut it up then make it simple to compliment the fabric.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

I'm afraid I don't have any ideas, but I did want to tell you what a gorgeous quilt you made and the fabric is drop dead gorgeous. To me it would be hard to cut up, sorry I'm not a lot of help.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:05 PM

O my what beautiful fabric. I would not be able to cut it! Luxurious!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:12 PM

I liked the idea someone else posted about using the fabric for wide borders and making the corners smaller blocks of swoon block in the quilt. I love the small blocks you put in the corners of each individual block. Using the main blocks as a corner stone would continue the pattern of the smaller blocks in in the corners of each individual block. I love your quilt and love the JB fabric.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
i need to make 4 fancy set squares for the border of this quilt:

i have this fabric, used for the centres of the stars that i don't feel i gave enough time or space to in the quilt itself. i have looked for tips on working with jinny beyer large prints and can only find border print tips. i don't have much of the border print left, and it was a miniature so the largest band was 1.75". these will form concentric borders for the whole quilt. i would be willing to buy a kaleidoscope ruler or something similar, try something new...anything. i really want to show off this fabric, but am stumped.

thanks so much!

aileen

how about a Seminole border with the focus fabric in the center and white on either end?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:16 PM

ah you! i played around a bit and had 2 INCREDIBLY frustrating quilting days. tomorrow i think the borders will be on, and then once it's all finished i will post a picture in the picture forum.

i really appreciate all your thoughts and suggestions. i will make a kaleidoscope quilt this year, and this fabric will feature in it. i will be wary of jinny beyer magic in the future though; just not sure i am meticulous enough to really do her fabrics and techniques justice. (i also think i understand why she hand pieces. it would really be MUCH easier to get the kind of accuracy needed if i had the patience to work by hand to piece. life is long though right? and if you never start, you'll never finish

quilt on dear friends!

aileen
Old 01-11-2014, 02:35 PM

I agree that you should have a wide border. As for the corner blocks for the border (is this what you mean when you say a swoon?), try JB's soft edge piecing: find a repeat patter [one or two} and applique them to a matching background the size of the corner block you need. I can't draw on this (too new at this) to show what I mean, but I am sure that on JB's website are may examples to see. Please show pictures when you decide what to do. So far the quilt top is gorgeous!!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:09 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456221[/ATTACH]when it cam down to it, after much frustration and consideration, this is what i went with for the corners. the kaleidoscopes use SO much fabric, and the most efficient way to make them would have given me 8 blocks. this way, i can send almost 2 full yards to a friend on the board who loved the fabric and i am super pleased with the pinwheels.

now to quilt it!

thanks for all you help

aileen
Attached Thumbnails finished-top.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 02:45 PM

Your final choice of the pinwheels are great and how fun to now get to share with a friend!!!