Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help swapping fabrics in a complicated pattern >

Help swapping fabrics in a complicated pattern

Help swapping fabrics in a complicated pattern

Old 01-19-2023, 08:35 AM

Default Help swapping fabrics in a complicated pattern

I could use some help from more experienced artisans on my latest quilt project.

A friend requested a rainbow quilt. I found an amazing free quilt pattern, it is called Rainbow Waves by Free Spirit Fabrics. It is a Storm at Sea illusion quilt that is both paper piecing and traditional piecing. It is meant to feature the fabric line Zuma by Tula Pink.

The piecing method is not my issue. I love paper piecing and have done tonnes of it. My issue is that I do not want to use the fabrics suggested. Instead, I want to use solids to create the rainbow shift of colours. I have no idea how to go about changing the fabrics from the original instructions. There are 38 different fabrics in the original instructions and they are not exactly intuitive in their colour schemes being patterned and thus a mix of colours in each of them.

I have swapped out fabrics in patterns dozens of times but never in a pattern this complicated and specific in it's layout. I honestly don't know how to even start figuring it out. I have included a link to the free pattern, a pic of what the finished piece is meant to look like and the non-patterned construction/quilt layout image from the pattern which is essentially what I WANT to achieve, as reference.

Thank you in advance for any help, guidance, suggested youtube videos or tutorials you might have.

https://www.fatquartershop.com/rainb...ee-pdf-pattern
Attached Thumbnails patterened.jpg   solid.jpg  
Old 01-19-2023, 08:50 AM

There is a solid color layout of the quilt in the pattern. I would first go row by row (on the diagonal) and try and match the colors with a fabric line of solids. I definitely would try and stay with one manufacturer for the solids and they most likely would have some sort of a view of all the solids in that fabric line. Once I have matched the colors I want with the solids. I would look at the pattern again where the fabrics are labeled. I might even paste a bit of the fabric on the fabric guide part of the pattern. It looks like most of the fabric is not more than a 1/2 yard. You may have to order from different shops to get all the fabric as most shops probably won't carry the entire line. I did notice that the fat quarter shop does have some color cards for fabric lines.

Last edited by sewingpup; 01-19-2023 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:07 AM

I would print out the attached color chart, cut a small piece of the fabric you’re using, and take a glue stick and stick the color I am substituting on top and go from there.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:50 AM

What Lisa said. 😁
Old 01-19-2023, 11:06 AM

You may be able to work through the fabrics using this tool. You select the pattern and can show your fabrics.

https://goquilt.accuquilt.com/patter...8-835f4c3c0577

Create an account to save your design.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:48 PM

I think this is confusing because the pattern does not start with the fabric one corner being #1 (a) and then going in order, it has them by fabric line

I'd start by using the layout like you shared above, and relabeling them with the dark red #1, mid red #2 and so forth.
Then you can cross reference, as your dark red #! is their #DD.. Refer to the layout on page 8 & 9 and page 12.

Such as on page 8, the first A1 is using colors 1 (DD), 2(BB), then on page 9, B1 using colors 2(BB),3(E),4(Q), then back to page 8 and the second A1 uses 4(Q) and 5 (B) 6=h, 7-n, 8 k, 9 aa, 10 w, 11 -ii, 12 - x, 13-L, 14-c, 15 R, 16 F, 17 o, 18 i,19 u, 20 hh, 21 a, 22 cc, 23 p, 24 s, 25 m, 26 j, 27 ee, 28 v, 29 d, 30 gg, 31 jj , 32ff

g and t are background
y and z are binding.
and the last two are for the backing - giving you 38 fabrics.

I made up colors names based on what they looked like to me.
dd red 1 dd
d red 2 bb
red 3 e
d pink 4 q
md pink 5 b
lt pink 6 h
pink 7 n
d peach 8 k
d yellow 9 aa
yellow 10 w
yel/green 11 ii
mint green 12 x
lt green 13 l
green 14 c
olive green 15 r
dark olive 16 f
d green 17 o
aqua 18 i
teal ? 19 u
dark teal 20 hh
m dark turq 21 a
turq 22 cc
dusty blue 23 p
lite blue 24 s
blue 25 m
steal blue 26 j
L steal blue 27 ee
md blue 28 v
d gray blue 29 d
darker turq 30 gg
navy 31 jj
dk purple 32 ff

33 g background
34 t background
35 y binding
36 z binding

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-19-2023 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:55 PM

BTW - thanks for posting, I've been wanting to make this pattern for a while now. will be fun to see if I can pull everything from my stash. I'll use a combo of solids, blenders and prints that "read" one color from a few feet away.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:03 PM

You are very brave. I wouldn't even accept the free pattern...

I know you will make it gorgeously!