Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP--T-shirt ??? >

HELP--T-shirt ???

HELP--T-shirt ???

Old 06-30-2016, 02:24 PM

Default HELP--T-shirt ???

Wont go into a story. Can anyone give a web sight, or 2 or pointers in makeing a t-shirt quilt. My grdson Justin's wife sister want a t-shirt quilt out of 24 t-shirts. I played around with some t shirt at 1 time, but that has been a long-long time. I have the t shirts, and fusible webbing. Correct me, please. I know the iron is not to be super hot. A medium hot. Thanks for any help. Take care everyone Don-isewman
Old 06-30-2016, 02:41 PM

Don, I cut my tshirts apart making sure it's oversized at the design part I'll be using, then apply interfacing and cut to the desired size, then just work your magic on a design, some people like them all the same size, I work with the whole design of various sizes, I think it makes a more unique quilt! Just know that it's not really hard and I know you can do it!!! Oh yeah, check out the ones on here, there are some really cool ones!!!
Old 06-30-2016, 03:11 PM

I concur with quilts4charity. I like to use a pressing cloth over the fusible to keep it from getting too hot. Here is a picture of one I did. I love this lay out![ATTACH=CONFIG]553170[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553171[/ATTACH]

The blocks don't need to be the same, just the width of the 'shadow' on two sides need to be the same. Having a lighter sashing helps them look like they are floating. Feel free to PM me if you need more info.
Attached Thumbnails p1010116.jpg   p1010113.jpg  
Old 06-30-2016, 03:17 PM

Beth you are a lifesaver! My sister dropped off a bag of her deceased husband's tee shirts a year ago. I have tried and tried to figure out what to do and you answered my question!
Old 06-30-2016, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Fusible Interfacing -- Not Fusible webbing ( like wonder under) you need interfacing which is fusible on one side- and keeps the t- shirts from stretching. It is easiest to fuse the interfacing to to t-shirts before cutting them out. There are many free videos on t-shirt quilts, along with Pinterest , google images and the photo section here on the board to see different layouts & ideas. Sometimes they are cut all different sizes, filled in with smashing strips and other blocks, sometimes all one size. Do a little browsing, and looking at the shirts you will be using to choose a design you like. T- shirt quilts can be quite fun. Use a Lightweight interfacing- t-shirts make heavy quilts.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:45 PM

My interfacing calls for a wet pressing cloth over the pellon 911 that I use. The steam makes it hot enough to set to the T-shirt, otherwise it will peel off.

Have fun
Old 06-30-2016, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Practice on some of the throw-away parts to get the fusing part down.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by carolaiken View Post
Beth you are a lifesaver! My sister dropped off a bag of her deceased husband's tee shirts a year ago. I have tried and tried to figure out what to do and you answered my question!
Glad to pass this idea on! I found it on someones blog and she was kind enough to let me use her idea. Notice that on the lighter shirts, I added a light gray border so there was a bit of contrast with the background. Be sure to post a picture ...I would love to see your quilt!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
My interfacing calls for a wet pressing cloth over the pellon 911 that I use. The steam makes it hot enough to set to the T-shirt, otherwise it will peel off.

Have fun
I don't like pellon. I don't have faith that the non woven stuff will hold together thru mulitple washings. I usually use one of the tricot fusibles. They're light and easy to use and don't fall apart even after multiple washings.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:05 PM

Here is a link for how to make a t-shirt quilt.
http://quilting.about.com/od/stepbys...irt-Quilts.htm