Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!!!!!!!!!!! >

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2013, 05:48 PM

Personally, I won't use monofilament thread, I don't know if the thread was the reason for your problem though.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 AM

A sharp point, or Microtex needle is a good choice for invisible thread. If you are looking for a machine needle that is good for quilting with monofilament, try a 60/8 needle for best results. The sharp tip gets it into and out of fabric easily.
Always look to the needle type for the type of thread you are using.....several websites recommend the 60/8 needle for monofilament thread.
Read more: What Size of Needles to Use With Invisible Thread | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8716458_siz...#ixzz2M6wurYjL
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 AM

Help....I just used a mono-poly in both top and bottom threads in a quilt(comfort quilt for a child with CF) that is to be used. Is this not a good thing?? Per a suggestion from a tutorial. (to use the same thread in the top and bottom)
I bought the thread it at a LQS. "As it hides a multitude of sins" I used it for SID only. I am confused...
I did have problems with breakage until I changed to a smaller needle (75/11).
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 AM
Banned

I use monofilament in the top only with a fine thread like Aurifil in the bobbin. Some machines will state in the manual do not use monofilament in the bobbin. I also use a Microtex Sharp.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
Help....I just used a mono-poly in both top and bottom threads in a quilt(comfort quilt for a child with CF) that is to be used. Is this not a good thing?? Per a suggestion from a tutorial. (to use the same thread in the top and bottom)
I bought the thread it at a LQS. "As it hides a multitude of sins" I used it for SID only. I am confused...
I did have problems with breakage until I changed to a smaller needle (75/11).
The issue with monofilament thread in baby quilts is -- especially if some of the stitches are large or loose -- that the thread can get tangled around a baby's finger or toe and cut off circulation. This is why it is not recommended for baby quilts. For an older child and adults that is not really a problem, as they can either take care of it themselves or show the problem to someone who can. This is a rare problem with monofilament, but it has occurred.

This is somewhat less of a problem with SID since the stitches are likely to be even; it's more of a problem with FMQ.
For the child with CF, you may need to decide whether or not the child can show this problem to an adult. If so, I would say you are okay.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 AM

I use monofilament a lot, and I have it in both the bobbin and the top spool. Before I switched to a special "metallics/monofilament" needle I had the same problem. As for the issue of getting caught around a baby's toe or finger, make sure to double-lock the beginning and end of each stitching session and make sure that your stitches are all the length that you have selected with no loooong stitches that can be raised up.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 AM

I was taught to hand wind my bobbin with monofilament thread and that seems to work. It does take time to do it.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:59 AM

Default suzyquilter

Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
I'm new to machine quilting, and I've been practicing my meandering for awhile with quilting thread. Well I finally decided to go ahead and quilt my wall hanging and I am using monofiliment. Well, my thread broke. What does a person do when your thread breaks? And on top of that when I turned it over I found a threads nest. That had happen awhile before the thread broke. The thread nest happened then the stitches went back to normal, then the top thread broke awhile later. What caused that? I never had any problems with the quilting thread, is it the monofiliment? Is there a certain way you have to set up your machine for the monofiliment and if so, what is it. I would really appreciate any help you could give me.
Are you using a metallic or topstitch needle? That plus loosing the tension a little should help.