Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help !! >

Help !!

Help !!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:57 AM

If you're looking for an inexpensive iron that doesn't have steam, I recomment the Continental, which you can get on Amazon.com for around $40.00. It's great if you do a lot of fusible, because since it doesn't have any steam holes, so you don't get those little places where it didn't fuse. It's a little heavy, but that's good, too, because you don't have to put any pressure on the iron -- just set it on the fabric and let it's own weight do the work. Also, the Continental doesn't have an auto-off feature. It stays on (and hot) until you turn it off.

For steam irons, I have heard several teachers talk about the Reliant irons and all the comments were good. From what I understand, the heat for the steam and the sole plate are separate, so you can get a lot of steam at a low temperature, and vice-versa. They're a little pricey, but one teacher said the company stands by their product and will replace it if anything goes wrong. And he should know, because they have replaced his three times. I noticed on their show last weekend that Fons & Porter have switched from the Oliso to the Reliant.

Black and Decker makes a good product at a reasonable price and can be found at WM. Most comments I've heard about Rowenta is that it is overpriced and eventually leaks.

Last edited by mckwilter; 06-07-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:11 AM

Consumer Reports says that the Black & Decker is every bit as good as any iron. I find mine a little heavier, which I like a lot, and it was much much less expensive
Old 06-07-2013, 07:52 AM

I agree that the cheaper irons work best. I have a GE and a Black and Decker and have had no problems my Rowenta does have a water problem.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

cheap is good as long as it has good steam and auto shutoff. I have a rowenta with the separate waer tank and have never had issues but it was pricey
Old 06-07-2013, 08:28 AM

I have to recommend Walmart, got a great little Iron to use on mini projects and a regular iron both for less than $30.00 - have had them for more than a year after my $69.00 (less than 6 months old) began spewing water everywhere. Love both the irons. And they work!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:37 AM

I have a rowenta I bought in 1999 and it has always worked really well for me. After reading here about some catching fire I was afraid to use it so I went to Walmart and bought a shark for 59,00 and I hate it, not only does it steam poorly but it is so heavy it hurts my wrist with my RA it is so hard to use. I am back using the rowenta and hoping it stays safe.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 AM

I too, have had lots of trouble from Rowenta. The last iron I got was from Wal Mart ....the brand was a Shark. I like it a lot, except the shut off time is quite short and that is the only thing I found I do not like.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Personally, I wouldn't spent more than $20, maybe $25 for an iron. I love the one I have now, can't remember the brand, however, it has steam/dry, lots of surface on the iron and an automatic shut off for when I forget to unplug the iron when sewing/quilting. Would not buy another iron without an automatic shut off, for safety if nothing else. I think I bought my iron at Wal-Mart.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM

Black and Decker Digital Advantage for $40 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Depends on if you want a stainless steel bottom, tank that holds lots of water, heavy iron because I feel I can press seams better with it. But I have had other B&D and can't beat them. Mine also has automatic shut off but re heats fast. My husband loves this feature as I have been know to leave my previous iron on all day.

Last edited by quilting in my60s; 06-07-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 06-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by icul8rg8r View Post
I'm of the "you get what you paid for" camp. I was buying irons almost every-other-year for one reason or the other (leaking; breaking; not turning on; falling over; cord not long enough or easily tangled; etc). Two years ago at the fair we saw the Oliso Iron being demo'd. Tried it, liked it, husband bought it, and love it. Will probably never need to replace it - built strong, no leaks, great steam (which you can turn on/off) - plus I don't need to worry about it falling over - it lifts up/down when you touch the handle. Cool! It has a huge side-fill water tank, an extra long cord (that pivots 360 degrees) and a 30-minute shut-off (plenty of enough time for me so I don't have to keep turning it on). LOVE MY OLISO IRON!!!
I have this same one (Oliso) this is absolutely the very best iron I have ever owned and have had many before this (Black & Decker, Sunbeam, Rowenta, etc). I love the automatic lift on this Oliso when you touch the handle up/or down, and don't have to worry about it ever falling over and it doesn't leak either. A little more pricey but I've had it for 3 years now and no problems. I would definately recommend it.