Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help!

Help!

I am trying to FMQ on my machine, using my darning plate but I can't get my bobbin thread to catch. it;s pulled through but when i try to sew, the stitches wont stick. What am i doing wrong?

Does your machine sew a locked stitch when you are regular sewing without a darning plate?? Are you using a darning foot with the 'plate'? Can you not drop the feed dogs instead and just use the darning foot? Have you ck'd to make sure the bobbin thread is unwinding in the right direction? Don't know what kind of machine you are using, but if you are using the darning foot, be sure to drop it just as you do with a regular sewing foot.

Other suggestion to check besides if the bobbin is threaded correctly is to check the top thread and make sure you are threading the needle in the correct direction.

I agree I would take the darning plate off and see if it works without it. If so, that is your problem and you don't really need it.
    Lisa

The only time I had this problem was when I forgot to lower the foot. I noticed that you didn't mention what foot you are using. If you don't have or can't get a darning foot for your machine try using a spring needle. Something has to hold the fabric down in order to have the bobbin thread catch. If you can't drop your feed dogs and decide not to use your darning plate you may want set your stitch length to 0.

Thanks guys! I didn't have a foot on it, and for some reason thought that would work...But by God's grace I had a open toed foot that I had forgotten about! My mom got it for me for my birthday last year and I never had the occasion to use it. When i saw Kat's post I was like "Duh!" So I ran and got the foot and we're all set!

Now, I just have to figure out HOW to FMQ. In the last hour I have figured out that I am TERRIBLE at this! Wish me luck!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Everyone is terrible at it the first time. Don't worry about it. It takes practice.

Like they say - practice, practice, practice. I hate that word