Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Marking your quilt

Blog Entries

Marking your quilt

At what stage do you mark your quilt?
    I have read that some mark the quilt before they sandwich while others make a sandwich and then mark.
    Which do you do and why?

I have tried both and must admit like marking before sandwiching.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I'm sure it might vary depending on quilting method. I'm a hand quilter. I have found that my best marking tools are a #2 mechanical pencil and a white mechanical pencil. As such, I've evolved to marking as I go since the marks tend to disappear over time if I mark the whole quilt top. When I've marked entire quilts, however, before sandwiching makes it far easier for me get crisper lines.

Blog Entries
    it depends on the project- sometimes it works well for me to mark as I go- so after it is sandwiched/loaded on the frame- sometimes I will lay out a whole top and mark the whole thing before loading...each project is it's own- and the decision is made when the top is completed.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

My intent is to mark before I sandwich the quilt - but I usually forget so have to mark after I sandwich.

I've been marking after I quilt but am going to mark this time before I quilt. Seems like it would be less work.

I think it depends on the method I might sandwich before if I was going to use pounce and a stencil or chalk because those rub out easily, or if using golden threads paper but if I was going to use frixion or those ceramic pencils or a marker I might mark first then sandwich.
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante