help

Old 09-29-2013, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

We have a lady in our area who got her long arm for her own convenience. She has since started doing quilting for others and is very reasonable. She does use pantos and also does FMQ. She has about 25 panto designs. She does a very good job.

Now, granted, she is not as talented as you are because the work you do is fantastic. I really admire the talent and skills you have. But, there are many of us that would love to have a quilt done by you but financially (on a limited budget) cannot afford it. Many times I sit here with my mouth open in amazement at the work you and a few others do on these quilts. It is stunning. This is by no means written in a critical way, just that sometimes we have to do what we have to do. Love your work, Feline

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
This is the thread where it is mentioned:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...t231091-2.html

Page 2. The poster is Rose Marie in Arizona

Buyer beware, you get what you pay for. I can't imagine how any LAQ can quilt any size AND Bind for $45. She must be one of those LAQ who doesn't need to support herself with LAQ and just does it because she likes to and earn a little fabric spending money. Most likely quilts a meander or one or two panto designs. I would be interested to see close up pictures of both the quilting and the binding done at that price.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:15 AM

Check out happycrafters.net and plainjanequilting.com. Both offer very reasonable quilting services. I have used Happy Crafters and have been very pleased with them. They charge by the design, not the square inch. I just learned about Plain Jane Quilting. They charge by the square inch, but the price varies based on the design and I will definitely be trying them.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:44 AM

My Grandmother used to quilt for 50 cents a spool. Of course that was 85 years ago. I would not load a quilt for $45.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:14 AM

I agree you get what you pay for. I am a LAQ and have had customers bring me quilt done by someone for a low amount. The one I have in mind charged a wopping $35 for a queen quilt. The customer was not happy with the quilting and asked how much I would charge to pull the quilting out for her. Then she wanted it quilted and the binding done. The first quilter would not bind her quilt, since it had a scallop edge. When the customer seen some of our quilting she asked for us to do it for her. She did get a cut rate quilter first, then it did cost her extra to pull the original quilting. She ended up paying almost double for her quilt to be finished. Again, know your quilter and remember you get what you pay for.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 AM

My quilts are done by a Lady that I have become good friends with. She has, what she calls, a "short arm" and can only do about 7 different edge to edge designs. My last king size quilt was done in a "wishbone" edge to edge pattern and she also sewed my binding on to the front for me (I hand sew to the back). My cost was $55. She does beautiful work and I loved the way it looked when it was finished...she will continue to do my quilts!! (She has done many already) If I want to continue to quilt I can't afford to $200-$300 per quilt. Her husband also does some of them and you can't tell the difference between his work and hers!! My shoulder and back won't allow me to handle the bulk of those big quilts to even sew the binding on the front. She has a ton of work, people send from all over, and loves what she does...she says it's their pocket/traveling money. I have yet to be disappointed in any she's done!! I want me piecing to be the focal point, not a lot of feathers, etc. I also don't like my quilts too densely quilted.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:20 AM

There ARE longarmers who don't charge an arm and a leg to quilt, I happen to have found one when I lived in the Fresno area, and she was VERY reasonable, quilted a full size quilt for $35, and I was very happy with the quilting. She wasn't as talented as a lot of longarmers, but I make my quilts for people and not judges/shows.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 AM

remember ever one you get what you pay for. Just having the long arm dos not mean you can do it all (just saying) you get what you pay for
Old 09-29-2013, 08:50 AM

We have a quilt shop in NH that charges 40.00 for a twin size quilt. She does a great job. When I first started to quilt I used her a few times but I did not want to pay 40.00 every time I made a quilt so bought a Jamone 7700 and do my own FMQ'ng now and love it.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

I am sorry, I just don't agree. Some people do fantastic work and don't feel they have to charge as much as some who are trying to make a living at it. There are all avenues for all desires. IMHO Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I just love the work of my reasonable, quality, talented quilter.

Originally Posted by sweetlummi View Post
remember ever one you get what you pay for. Just having the long arm dos not mean you can do it all (just saying) you get what you pay for

Last edited by twinkie; 10-02-2013 at 03:50 AM.