Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help with a tossed 9-Patch

I purchased 6 - 5" x 40 charm packs and started to make 9" squares. I have finished 15 squares and cut them up into 4 parts as suggested. Each cut square measures 7". I am trying to make a single quilt. When I laid the cut squares out, 10 wide per row, I was only able to make a little more than 4 rows. I still have about 120 5" squares left, but when I measure it out it does not give me enough to make a single quilt.

What am I doing wrong?

Just using 5" squares in a rows 14 x 14, would give me enough to make a single. Either I don't see the forest of the trees, or what is going on, but I am not getting anywhere.
    Can someone lead me out of the woods?

Some people call this a Disappearing Nine Patch.

I am not quite understanding your question, though. :oops:

I have a Quilt in a Day booklet that is supposed to help. But I cannot figure out what the measurements they list mean. They call it tossed 9 patch, i.e. make a 9 oatch and cut it in quarters and then sew it back in a different format.
    G

Google "disappearing nine patch quilt block" and find several sites that tell you how and what.

Blog Entries
    Hmm, a six inch square will end up making the dis.nine patch block about
    17 1/2" . I have made several and usually have 5 blocks across and 6 down for a good size quilt. I used 6" squares so 5" squares should make a block about 14 1/2". Here is a site that has great directions about the disp. nine patch.

http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/200...g-9-patch.html

Power Poster
    I'm also confused -

1) Did you cut your 5-inch squares down to 3-inch squares,

2) and then sew the 3-inch squares into 9-patches (3x3 grid)?

3) which would measure 8x8 inches (unfinished) before you cut the 9-patch block into quarters/fourths?

4) After resewing the quarters, did you end up with 7-1/2 inch (unfinished) blocks?

Is this where you are at? Or did I totally misunderstand what you did/are doing?

Most of the ones I have seen on Google show the actual quilts, but no measurements.
    Using what you mentioned, Bellaboo. to make a 70 x 70 I should need 5 9 patches across, and 5 9 patches down. If I cut them as I need to do, I should wind up with a 70 x 70 inch quilt. Am I right? Then if I put a 2 1/2 sashing and a four in wide border borfrt, I should wind up with a 82 - 83" square quilt?

Maybe I am getting too old for this, but my math has left me.

G

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I'm also confused -

1) Did you cut your 5-inch squares down to 3-inch squares,

2) and then sew the 3-inch squares into 9-patches (3x3 grid)?

3) which would measure 8x8 inches (unfinished) before you cut the 9-patch block into quarters/fourths?

4) After resewing the quarters, did you end up with 7-1/2 inch (unfinished) blocks?

Is this where you are at? Or did I totally misunderstand what you did/are doing?

Yes, I am assuming you mean 14 1/2 for the full 9 patch and 7" after cutting?

G

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilla
    I purchased 6 - 5" x 40 charm packs and started to make 9" squares. I have finished 15 squares and cut them up into 4 parts as suggested. Each cut square measures 7". I am trying to make a single quilt. When I laid the cut squares out, 10 wide per row, I was only able to make a little more than 4 rows. I still have about 120 5" squares left, but when I measure it out it does not give me enough to make a single quilt.

What am I doing wrong?

Just using 5" squares in a rows 14 x 14, would give me enough to make a single. Either I don't see the forest of the trees, or what is going on, but I am not getting anywhere.
    Can someone lead me out of the woods?
    Okay - I think I see where I'm confused -

I purchased 6 - 5" x 40 charm packs and started to make 9" squares.
    Did you mean "making 9-patch squares/blocks"???? out of the 5 inch squares? - and after sewing them together, the blocks should measure about 14 inches?

After cutting the 9-patch blocks apart - are you rearranging the pieces and resewing four quarters back together? After you do, you should end up with blocks approximately 13.5 x 13.5 square.

Check the instructions for the Disappearing 9-patch - I think that might help solve the mystery.

Yes. i already made 20 nd cut them into fourth which gave me 7" blocks. I am trying to figure out how many I need to make a single bed quilt. According to the pattern I have, it takes 160 5" squares (total) made up into 9" blocks, cut into fourth. But I cannot come up with the same thing. 160 original 5"squared do not make a single bed cover.

Am I wrong? Gilla

I think 160 isn't right, since that's not divisible into 9...

So, let's say you used 162, since that does divide into 9.

If you did a normal 9-patch block (pretend no cutting yet!), you would get 18 9-patch blocks, right? And each 9-patch would be around 14". So then laying them out 3x6, the quilt is 42" x 84" (a weird layout, sure, but the best I would do with 18 9patches). So other then needing an extra row, I think that's pretty good.

I would suggest making 24-25 normal 9-patch blocks (gives you a final arrangement of 4x6 9-patches or 5x5 = 216-225 charm squares). Before they get cut, that gives you a quilt size of around 56" x 84" or 70"x70". After the 9-patches are cut and reassembled, you'll get in the range of 53" x 81" or 67"x67" (rough math), both of which are reasonable sizes.

So if you work in the range of 24ish regular 9patch blocks, you'll get a decent quilt size. I think what might help you is to reassemble the blocks into new 9patches... might help you wrap your brain around the size easier :D

*Looks at the links* oh, I see how it ends up. I was just going to reassemble them into normal 9patch layout, with different colors, rather then rotate...

My math should still work. 24ish starting 9patches :D

Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    This is a very nice site. I know how to make the 9 patch. I know how to cut them up. I am trying to figure out how many I need. I bought 6 - 5'x 40 Charm packs and as it looks now, I don't have enough to finish that quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    I think 160 isn't right, since that's not divisible into 9...

So, let's say you used 162, since that does divide into 9.

If you did a normal 9-patch block (pretend no cutting yet!), you would get 18 9-patch blocks, right? And each 9-patch would be around 14". So then laying them out 3x6, the quilt is 42" x 84" (a weird layout, sure, but the best I would do with 18 9patches). So other then needing an extra row, I think that's pretty good.

I would suggest making 24-25 normal 9-patch blocks (gives you a final arrangement of 4x6 9-patches or 5x5 = 216-225 charm squares). Before they get cut, that gives you a quilt size of around 56" x 84" or 70"x70". After the 9-patches are cut and reassembled, you'll get in the range of 53" x 81" or 67"x67" (rough math), both of which are reasonable sizes.

So if you work in the range of 24ish regular 9patch blocks, you'll get a decent quilt size. I think what might help you is to reassemble the blocks into new 9patches... might help you wrap your brain around the size easier :D
    Thanks! That makes more sense to me. I am reading from the back of the booklet. Queen size: 5 Print squares - 160; 5 Print Squares (optional border) 84; 1st border 7/8 yard, 2nd border 2 3/4 yard, size 90 by 106". No way is that going to happen with 160 5" squares. Even when adding the 84 squares as border, I can't see it.
    Anyway, that is why I am so confused.

I've already decided to make up the rest of the squares and see where I'll wind up. Originally I had planned to use the extras for pillow or something. Iam tempted to call them and ask them to translate this for me.
    Gilla

Thanks! That makes more sense to me. I am reading from the back of the booklet. Queen size: 5 Print squares - 160; 5 Print Squares (optional border) 84; 1st border 7/8 yard, 2nd border 2 3/4 yard, size 90 by 106". No way is that going to happen with 160 5" squares. Even when adding the 84 squares as border, I can't see it.
    Anyway, that is why I am so confused.

I've already decided to make up the rest of the squares and see where I'll wind up. Originally I had planned to use the extras for pillow or something. Iam tempted to call them and ask them to translate this for me.
    Gilla
    Yeah, I don't know how they're coming up with 160. Maybe they meant 260? One way to tell is to make up the 9patches, lay them out, and then you'll lose a few inches when you cut and reassemble. So if your quilt is the right size with the normal 9patches, it will be slightly smaller but still just about the right size after it's reassembled. The good news is that you have a lot of charm squares, so you can increase to get a big quilt.

I've done some quilts that turn out just tiny! So I just keep adding more blocks until it's a normal person size :mrgreen:

I'm excited to see pictures when you're finished!