Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help - Want to buy my wife quilt/sewing machine for X-mas!!

My DH suprised me w/a Husqvarna 870 Quilt machine a couple years ago and I just love it for quilting, however, I had to purchase a seperate machine for embrodery. I'm sure she will love anything you buy. Good Man choosing to buy her a machine. That was my best gift ever.

Hi. Good man! Good plan! I agree with everyone that your wife will probably want to make the choice of which machine to buy. Also, I think you'd be wise to keep in mind that pre-Christmas sales can save you big bucks on a machine.

Going to a dealer is an absolute must! Not only can they explain qualities of machines, but they also give instructions on machine you purchase. My personal choice is a Janome 11000. However, be prepared to write a BIG check, although some dealers have same as cash deals or special credit cards

aint you just a peach of a guy!!!

when my hubby decided to get me a new machine, he took me to the store, I picked and he paid.
    that may have been one of the sweetiest things he has ever done for me :)

What a sweet husband! I feel as others have stated that a sewing machine is a personal item and I bet your wife would love to have some input of what kind you buy.

I have a Bernina 200 which also has the embroidery unit. I absolutely love my machine! The most important thing is to buy from a reputable dealer where she can get lessons in using it (most are free) and supplies (feet, bobbins, etc).

If I were you, I would give a card with a picture of a sewing machine inside and a note saying you are taking her shopping so she can pick out a new machine. She may like the embroidery unit, or maybe she would rather have all the bells and whistles for machine quilting. Let her decide. SHE WILL LOVE YOU FOR IT!!

Power Poster
    You said your wife is ill?

Is she well enough to be interested in sewing/quilting/whatever?

Is she well enough to even care about a different machine?

I hope she is - just wondering.

Guy

Hi All - and thanks so much for the helpful suggestions.

Based on your ideas, I am going to call our daughter tonight and see what she thinks is the best option from those offered. She may even be able to have a "mother/daughter" discussion about the various machines without my wife getting too suspicious.

I am also going to call/visit the local quilting shop / Husqvarna dealer. My wife spends a lot of time there and knows the owner well. I will ask her if she has any ideas based on what my wife currently owns and may have talked to her about re: future machines. My only reluctance in doing this at the very beginning was a little concern about being steered right to the top of the line model.

If neither of these options proves fruitful, then I get the impression from most of you that a new machine is a matter of personal preference and that given your druthers you would like to make it yourself ... so as many have suggested I will get a big decorated box, put in a couple of books or house bricks for weight ... and then add in a cut out picture of the top of the line Husqvarna machine. If my wife thinks that is too extravagent or prefers some other model ... when then that is what she can purchase.

Thanks a bunch everyone ... you've all been so helpful!

Cheers.

I would go to the local store, get a brochure on the top of the line machine, wrap it up with a note saying it's waiting for you at your local dealer or your dealer of choice. Merry Christmas.
    If they have a little sewing machine or pin, I would purchase it for a wrap up gift.
    I quilt and do a lot of other kind of sewing and the Embroidery machine isn't the best for piecing. It's great for embroidering and other things. I have a Pfaff for most of my sewing, a Singer feather weight for piecing, a Bernina that I use for heavy types of material like upholster, etc. Each machine has it's place.
    I would hate for my husband to purchase my sewing machine even though I'm sure he would do a good job. Kind of like me buying my husband a new Pick up truck or a gun. You don't hung deer with a 22.

Blog Entries
    GUY, i kept reading this all the way thru. and i'm glad i did. everyone was so tactful, and peachy nice, and i'mmmm sooooo gladdddd you took their sweet, kind nice advice, and going to let the wife pick out her own machine. you sure did the right thing, and you sure won't be in any dog house now, but you sure would have, if you had bought her one. FOR SURE. congrats on the decision.

I think you will do fine, sounds like you are going about it exactly the right way. It sounds like your wife has a great relationship with the LQS and Husqvarna dealer. If you wife likes her Viking that is probably a safe way to go too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy
    Hi All - and thanks so much for the helpful suggestions.

Based on your ideas, I am going to call our daughter tonight and see what she thinks is the best option from those offered. She may even be able to have a "mother/daughter" discussion about the various machines without my wife getting too suspicious.

I am also going to call/visit the local quilting shop / Husqvarna dealer. My wife spends a lot of time there and knows the owner well. I will ask her if she has any ideas based on what my wife currently owns and may have talked to her about re: future machines. My only reluctance in doing this at the very beginning was a little concern about being steered right to the top of the line model.

If neither of these options proves fruitful, then I get the impression from most of you that a new machine is a matter of personal preference and that given your druthers you would like to make it yourself ... so as many have suggested I will get a big decorated box, put in a couple of books or house bricks for weight ... and then add in a cut out picture of the top of the line Husqvarna machine. If my wife thinks that is too extravagent or prefers some other model ... when then that is what she can purchase.

Thanks a bunch everyone ... you've all been so helpful!

Cheers.

I lover my Viking Designer Diamond. It is the Cadillac of sewing embroidery machines.

Hi Guy,

I agree that buying a machine is personal. Learn the price range of the machine and arrange a gift card type of gift for the machine.

Your wife has a Viking Platinum. The step up would be a viking saphire or the embroidery machine would be a topaz. I stepped up one level at a time as I could afford it along that same path.

Yes, stick with the same brand she loves. She will be able to use ALL the machine feet and accessories from the platinum on either the saphire or topaz. That will save a lot of money and frustration as you already pointed out, she will know her way around the new machine more easily.

Get the prices on the trade-in or full price and figure out a great way to gift her the new machine, but let her go in to the husqvarna viking store and pick it out.

You are the best!!

Give her a card explaining your idea. I think she may enjoy the thrill of choosing her own machine. Think about how you would feel if she puchased a new car or truck for you. You would miss the thrill of the test drive and the new smell.
    You have got to be a special man to care this much for your wife. I am blessed to have a wonderful husband. Bless you and and your wife. Have a Merry Christmas

One more thought, how about printing all these suggestions and clipping them into separate slips and put in the box with your gift. She may very much enjoy reading all the suggestions and thoughts on this subject, especially about what a great hubby she has, your thoughtfulness in searching for right purchase for his dear wife! It may mean a lot to her, I know it would me. Of course elimated this one :) Just a thought. best wishes to you both!

Someone mentioned a gift certificate . My daughter gave me one the other year. You cannot get your money back if there is nothing she wants to purchase. So I would think hard about a gift certificate. I would have her pick out the machine and then pay for it. That way you aren't stuck with a gift certificate that you can't get your money back. Just a thought.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    She'll love you for wanting to do this for her. But if my DH bought me a new sewing machine without my input I would love the gesture but be disheartened too. A sewing machine is personal to most quilters and lots of research and thought goes into a new machine. Go to the dealer and see the prices of the various machines and then give your wife lots of new machine brochures along with a check! :)
    Amen I agree with you If my hubby tried to get me one he would have been lost.So do what BellaBoo sugest it's the perfect way to go an you will still give her one great surprise

Blog Entries
    hello and wecome to board ,boy that,s easy a long arm or mid arm quilting machine , so that she can quilt her quilt tops faster,the one that she has is a good brand ,unless she whats a more pricer machine with more features i have a bernina 730E artista paid alot of money for my bernina around $8,000.00 and change for her, and the newer one that just came out is around $11,000.00 not much change in new machine just more sewing area and light is brighter,good luck hope i help ,but think about a long arm .man i wish my husband would just ask me what i want for xmas

Go to your local dealer, which is a place where your wife is probably known.
    They can help you pick out a machine for her...if she even has been wanting a machine or something else...
    K

The Viking Designer Diamond by a landslide is the top of the line for Viking. I have one....it does everything! Let me know if you buy it for her. It has the largest screen in the industry and the largest hoop (magestic) in the industry for embroidering. You can use all your previous hoops and pressure feet as Viking makes these interchangable amongst machines. She will absolutely LOVE it...guarenteed. It retails for $9500.00 and may sell for as little as 5000.00 due to the economy. I used to work part time for Viking (inside Joanne's) and can vouch for their performance and high standards./ Lissa

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa
    The Viking Designer Diamond by a landslide is the top of the line for Viking. I have one....it does everything! Let me know if you buy it for her. It has the largest screen in the industry and the largest hoop (magestic) in the industry for embroidering. You can use all your previous hoops and pressure feet as Viking makes these interchangable amongst machines. She will absolutely LOVE it...guarenteed. It retails for $9500.00 and may sell for as little as 5000.00 due to the economy. I used to work part time for Viking (inside Joanne's) and can vouch for their performance and high standards./ Lissa

I have enjoyed reading all the replies, and agree that your wife will probably enjoy picking out her own machine. My Christmas wish for you both is that she be well enough to go out and do it, and enjoy the machine after she has it.

I think your wife has the best husband ever. As for my recommendation...you can't go wrong with a Husqvarna. I had the 1+ which embroidered and sewed. A couple of years ago I traded it in for the Designer SE and I love this machine.

You might want to talk to the dealer about trading in the Platinum and then let your wife choose her new machine. Half the fun of owning one of these machines is getting to choose the perfect one.

The top of the line is the Diamond, then the Designer SE. When the Diamond came out my dealer received quite a few Designer SE's as trade ins.

Good luck.

Pfaff is my favorite machine. In over 12 years I have never had any problems with my Pfaff 7570. Pfaff if very user friendly.
    I have traveled with my machine and no problems with the Pfaff needing any adjustment when I got ready to sew.
    Let your wife choose the machine she likes and fits her sewing needs. I machine is a major investment. She will love you forever, next her new machine.
    Take care of this jewel of wife you have.

Dear Guy,

After reading all the suggestions I had this thought.

A sewing machine IS a very personal choice. One of the board members has the best idea.

Why don't you go to the Husq dealer, gather up brochures of all of the machines that would be upgrades to the Platinum machine you wife currently owns.

This way you could wrap up the brochures with a note that one of these machines is hers for the choosing. She can read about the features, decide which she really wants, and then she will know what she really wants before going into the store for a demo. It is hard to make a sound decision in the store if you haven't already done some homework. You become so dazzled by everything it is hard to really consider what is essential and what is not.

These machines are a real investment, so choosing carefully is so important. If your wife really studies the brochures, she will end up with the machine of her dreams.

I think you are incredibly sweet to support her hobby. She is a lucky woman.

Please let us all know what you end up doing and what machine you wife chooses.

Hi... rather than completely surprise her with a machine that she didn't get to check out first, why don't you give her a hand or computer written gift card entitling her to get the machine of her choice. If you want you can include a 'not to exceed' monetary amount.

That would be the greatest gift my hubby could give me! He's given me some really expensive gifts in the past...a mink coat with my initials on the inside, and I had told him for years that I would never want a mink. I think I've worn it maybe 10 times...in CA of all places. Now I would have preferred a gift card, LOL.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast