Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!!  Water leak - Wet fabrics >

Help!!! Water leak - Wet fabrics

Help!!! Water leak - Wet fabrics

Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 PM

We had a similar leak in our house and it got into my fabric. I didn't see it for a couple of days. Some of the cabinet parts looked dry until I took everything out and saw that indeed there were wet spots that mold was actually starting to form on. Ugh. Water damage was also under the cabinet and behind. I washed everything and treated the cabinets to blown heat for several days. (A bathroom heater) (Advice from my insurance carrier)
I know it is a big job, but I would take everything out just to be safe. Sorry this happened to you!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
This is what my cabinets look like- took this picture last year sometime

The leak affect the blue fabrics in the middle cabinet. Pretty much whole bottom shelf worth. the water is coming through the light fixture just to the right of the middle cabinet.
Water got into the top drawer too. had a lot of printed out quilt patterns, test embroidery work, some steam a seam and other assorted things. Fortunately it looks like no water got in to the deeper drawer in the middle. There are 2 lap top computers in there.
By chance is your picture dated? That would really help out with your insurance if it is. Maybe they will pay for lost fabric. I have no idea. Makes me think I may need to take a pic. of my fabric. I took one last year of my machine and have it on computer as well as still on the camera, because of burgularies around at the time.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 AM

I never thought of taking pictures of my stash and machines. Thanks for a great idea!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM

One thing about water is that it finds the path of least resistance. The water may be coming from a different leak but finding its way out through the same path. Is it possible to move your cabinets to a different wall?

I would think that your homeowner's insurance has a general "home/personal contents" coverage where what ever may be damaged can be pigeon-holed, but certainly you should have your more expensive machines listed specifically.

As to your original question, you don't know where the water is coming from and what is in it. Drying it could set whatever minerals/particles may be in the water into the fabric and cause staining. I would wash it first just to be on the safe side.

Sorry you are going thru this again. How frustrating it must be.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Google Goddess

I am sorry you are going thru this with all of your cool fabrics, I hope you found the leak and got it fixed now

take care and hugs