Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!!  Water leak - Wet fabrics >

Help!!! Water leak - Wet fabrics

Help!!! Water leak - Wet fabrics

Old 01-12-2011, 05:07 PM

Sigh....... It's happened again. I got a new "sewing room" just over 2 years ago because we had a leak in the water line that runs above my family room, where I sew. It is leaking again. Not near as bad as when we had to re-do the entire room, floors, ceiling everything.
Question I have is many yards of fabric that got wet. these fabrics were in my new cabinets built since the original "flood" Can I just throw them into the dryer or do I need to wash them all. The hot water is currently shut off to the house because we just discovered this and called a plumber about 20 min ago, caught his answer machine.
What would you do??????
Fortunately this only affect about 60 yards of fabrics and not the thousands stored in these cabinets.
The cabinets are sealed, I think there is water between the ceiling and the top cabinet and it dripped through. I think it may be between the top and middle cabinet as well cause it was a little wet along the seam. These cabinets are installed onto the wall.
Suggestions??????
Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 PM

How long do you think the fabric has been wet? If it just got wet, I would say the drier. If it has probably been wet for days, or longer, I would wash it just to be on the safe side.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened! Good luck with the cleanup!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:11 PM

I would wash it and then dry it. I always prewash my fabrics anyway.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:14 PM

I don't usually pre-wash my fabrics.

Well, we left town about 5 pm Monday and got back at 10 last night. I just noticed this about 4:30 (45) min ago. My husband was in this room and didn't notice it this morning, but he doesn't always notice things, he didn't walk next to my sewing machine.
It's possible that it's only today.
I did see a small water puddle on the floor a few days ago. I looked all around and didn't see where it came from. I guess I should have checked closer.
Fortunately it did not drip onto my Bernina sewing machine
Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 PM

I've been reading a lot lately about adding fabric to insurance policy - have you? It's really scary to think about yards & yards of fabric that gets damaged beyond saving. This time you were lucky but...
Old 01-12-2011, 05:16 PM

As I sit here it is dripping out of the light fixture about 10 feet behind me. DH did not hear any dripping this morning.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:17 PM

I would wash it first, because you don't know how clean the water that is on the fabric is. The fabric can have a slight yellowish stain and if you dry it, you may set the stain.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mommamac
I've been reading a lot lately about adding fabric to insurance policy - have you? It's really scary to think about yards & yards of fabric that gets damaged beyond saving. This time you were lucky but...
Ummmm I asked Dh about it last week, with all the talk going around. No it is not on insurance. I am hoping it is minimal damage to ceiling, and cabinets because we went thru insurance last time to the tune of about 12 grand. I don't want our insurance to drop us!!!
Water leak is in same area as one almost 3 years ago. Family room was torn up for 7 mos!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 PM

I don't want to turn the hot water back on. Not positive that it is from the hot water pipe, but that is where it came from last time. I really don't want to have to wash, but I guess I could throw it in a quick cold wash. Though if this dripping doesn't slow down soon, we will have to turn off the water to the house.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:21 PM

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Why again???????