Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!!  Water leak - Wet fabrics >

Help!!! Water leak - Wet fabrics

Help!!! Water leak - Wet fabrics

Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 PM

This is what my cabinets look like- took this picture last year sometime

The leak affect the blue fabrics in the middle cabinet. Pretty much whole bottom shelf worth. the water is coming through the light fixture just to the right of the middle cabinet.
Water got into the top drawer too. had a lot of printed out quilt patterns, test embroidery work, some steam a seam and other assorted things. Fortunately it looks like no water got in to the deeper drawer in the middle. There are 2 lap top computers in there.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159111.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

I would wash it since you don't know what the water went thru before it hit the fabric- and I wash everything with cold these days so that should not be a problem- you are just trying to prevent stains - GOOD LUCK
Old 01-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

And you need to check homeowners for insurance after seeing that pic :wink:
Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I would wash it since you don't know what the water went thru before it hit the fabric- and I wash everything with cold these days so that should not be a problem- you are just trying to prevent stains - GOOD LUCK
It went thru insulation and the ceiling drywall. Probably ran along the wood beams.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 PM

My sewing chair is soaked too.

The sewing desk is moved back even with the cabinets but the water misses it and the ironing board (which had about 60 yards of new fabrics on it)

I need to check the floral fabrics again to see if they are wet. They feel cold but I'm hoping that the bottom shelf of floral's arn't wet.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:35 PM

I think is plumbers MISTAKE should not have a problem again. I would check with Better Business Borough to see if other complaints Maybe second opinion to see WHY happened- insurance company may help you out in that respect I agree I would wash and use cold water anyway. Maybe time to start using that stash!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:35 PM

Plumber still has not called back. It's now 5:35 pm. I guess we won't have hot water tonight. Will probably turn it on only long enough to shower in the morning.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlonger
I think is plumbers MISTAKE should not have a problem again. I would check with Better Business Borough to see if other complaints Maybe second opinion to see WHY happened- insurance company may help you out in that respect I agree I would wash and use cold water anyway. Maybe time to start using that stash!!!
The house is 40 years old. The last problem was a pin-prick hole in the pipe. that small section was removed and a new piece soldered in. it leaked a little about 6 months ago, didn't get anything wet but the floor that time, that section was cut out and replaced. I think we need to put in a whole length of new pipe. After a while the hard hard water we have in our area can cause small pin sized holes in the pipes.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:44 PM

I see your in California Have you had a EARTHQUAKE? I'd want material above waterlines, We heat with water --it runs our entire cellar ABOVE all my material and long arm machine It gives me shivers thinking about what if I wish you and yours a speedy fix.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:46 PM

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. You have such a wonderful stash, but I would definitely recommend you get an insurance rider to cover it all. It would cost you a small fortune to replace it all. Hope this is all resolved quickly. >