Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! What did I do? >

Help! What did I do?

Help! What did I do?

Old 01-11-2019, 08:32 PM

I KNOW there are better ways "nowadays" to construct the HST/Flying Geese units. I kept mumbling that to myself! I didn't want to go to the trouble of recalculating/redrafting the piece sizes - it would have been to the whole pattern. Had to muddle through!
I'll just re-do the large triangles to the right size, block the units and keep going. Every time I stop working on it, and pick it back up again, I remember why I put it down in the first place! I just want to get this quilt done - long overdue for my college DS. He's been so patient!
I appreciate your vote of confidence! Thank you! I will say though, that all points retained in the making of that large block were accidental! LOLOL
Old 01-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

KCMomTo2 ... I do like your finished block. Quite an interesting design.
An interesting mix of fabrics that work and create some drama to the finished block.

It's really hard for us to diagnose for you, when we can't see them IRL.
I'm somewhat projecting from my own past experiences here ....
Agree with GingerK that ironing vs. pressing could be part of the problem.

Some others to check ...
Are your seams an accurate 1/4" all the way across?
Sometimes it can become a bit too wide or narrow at the beginning or end, or even in the middle
which then distorts things when all get joined together.

Are all the fabrics 100% cotton? Are they all much the same weight?
I have found that working with lighter cottons can be a challenge to keep all even and accurate.
Sometimes with mixed weights, it can be an even bigger problem.

Are you using Best Press (or similar)?
Sometimes using it before you start cutting can get the fabric to behave better when you cut, stitch, press.
I am a presser, not finger presser .... and keep using BP throughout, if needed. Even on blocks like these.

As GingerK said, yes they are wonky a bit ... you may be surprised how much of that will disappear once you join them into the big block. Blocking can help .... and the ongoing pressing as you do each stage.

For me ... a pattern like this is a perfect candidate for Paper Piecing!
Looking at your units in post #6, each could be done as one PP unit.
If I want precision and avoid hassles, I have been known to draw it out on graph paper, copy and PP away!
Oh how I love PPing for precise piecing and perfect points!

Good Luck!
Old 01-12-2019, 03:31 AM

Kcmomto2, what a great block. I have two possible suggestions. I love paper piecing for bias sides. Not sure how well this would lend itself to that though. Second suggestion is STARCH. I'd starch (Best Press or sizing would be my choice) the pieces till they'd almost stand up by themselves. Spray starch, let dry. Don't iron, just put the iron on the fabric and press.

Good luck, it's going to be OK and beautiful.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:00 AM

The units look over ironed to me. It appears that this occurred in trying to overcome problems. It is best to finger press or use a dry iron to lightly direct the seams during construction. Use steam only when the block is completely constructed. Being gentle is a key to success.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:05 AM

After very careful and precise cutting (using starch when necessary), I get my best results when I press, measure, and square up each unit as it's constructed, before sewing the next seam.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:45 AM

draw the pattern on freezer paper. Iron press it onto the block and see where the problem is.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

A walking foot is great to use with that much bias stitching. Some machines have an even feet foot.

It could be the pressing though if you are "ironing" on the seam. Pressing means pressing down straight lifting and pressing down straight. Don't scrub! A clapper set onto the seam might help too. Please use a dry hot iron.

I have seen the ironing board covers with straight lines printed on them to assist you with keeping things squared up as you go.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-12-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:44 AM

[
BTW your points on the block in your photo are exemplary!! Kudos!![/QUOTE]

They are, indeed. That's a complicated block and you've done a terrific job putting it together. When you press, do you move the iron at all? Because if I have anything bias, I just set the iron straight down on my pieces and lift it back up, and resist moving it over the fabric even a little bit.

Love your fabrics. This is going to be a magnificent quilt!
Old 01-13-2019, 06:41 AM

I made a quilt with all edges of blocks on the bias. The corner seams needed to be exactly in the corner, so I took my 12 1/2 in. ruler to the ironing board and drew the outline of the ruler onto the ironing board with PEN. (It's still on there.) When the block was completed, I laid the block onto the drawing and found out that I couldn't see the drawing anymore! So I drew lines on the bias extending beyond each corner so that I could see where the corner was. Then I pinned each corner so that the seam was on that line, starched it heavily, ironed it dry, and then then proceeded to sew the blocks together. It turned out perfectly.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:13 PM

Starch is your best friend for bias problems. That being said, how did you get that beautiful full block done? It looks perfect. So, do that again, lol. (Isn't that helpful?)