Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP - What's the best iron? >

HELP - What's the best iron?

HELP - What's the best iron?

Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM

Right now I am fighting with Oliso regarding my year old $200 machine that keeps on turning it self off....so I am not recommending this iron....I plan on going to Walmart tomorrow morning and finding a cheap one that does not have a shut off feature.... probably spend between $20-$30 ....probably look at a Black and Decker.....
Old 10-21-2012, 02:33 PM

I am extremely happpy with my Black and Decker Digital Advantage. It has a strong and very long cord, heats up fast, shuts off but again heats up fast. I do not use water in it so cannot comment on the steam aspects. I use a spray bottle. Sole plate is smooth and has a smooth rounded edge so it does not get caught.

I do a lot of sewing and ironing and love this iron. I have a wood ironing board with many layers of padding but not poufy layers.

I got it due to the number of positve reviews on Amazon and it was around $35.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:34 PM

I found my el cheapo Rival iron at WallyWorld for $6.00 after reading reviews for all the irons on Amazon.

Bingo! One of the reviews for my iron complained about the lack of the auto-shut-off feature. Exactly what I wanted!
There's nothing like having to wait for the %&^!* iron to heat back up again and again when you're on a roll trying to make blocks. So back to Costco went the expensive iron that had started spitting.

My little Rival iron has steam and it doesn't spit or leak. The "Cotton" setting could be a little hotter, IMO, so I set the temp just inside the "Wool" setting. It's also light in weight which is nice for my wrists.

Not to mention the price was right!!!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
One that doesn't have an automatic shut off and has a heavy metal plate. This has the auto shut off but just tilt it and let it heat before using. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Deck...ndingMethod=rr
Using spray starch is nice too. Let the starch dry before ironing.

I have this one too. It works just great. Because of our hard water I have found it more cost effective to buy a "cheap" iron so it doesn't break the bank when I need to replace it.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:58 PM

i have my moms oreck. that is sure a good iron. not a bit a trouble with it
so far. and my mom used it for years too. expensive i think but really nice.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:01 PM

I have the really cheapo Rival ( walmart)... lots of steam .. does not shut off very very light weight... but does not get quite as hot as I would like.. But when all of my more pricey Rowenta and other brands have failed this one comes through every time.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:08 PM

I bought this travelling Iron http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richa.../dp/B0002J4YKG 7 years ago and it is still going strong, i hope it keeps going for another 7 as it looks as tho' they don't make it any more. The thing I liked most of all, besides it doing everything a big iron does, is the grip instead of a handle, if certainly makes my life easier, for quilting.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 PM

I bought this iron and really like it:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AMJ0KS/...SIN=B001AMJ0KS

No problems at all.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
I will be honest. The best irons IMHO were cheap ones. I've had more problems with high dollar irons. I've also heard allot of unhappy campers with Rowenta. And fire problems with them. What are you ironing on? Is it pretty padded? If so you might not have a firm enough pressing surface. One thing I personally prefer is an iron without a auto shut off. Hard for me to find.
It is an ironing pad on top of a table. I guess I stick with my cheap one (from Costco) and start using spray water bottle as some have suggested. I do hate the auto shut off feature, but I guess I'm doing okay and it is just all of the layers of fabric that is making me think it is not flat enough.

Everyone has so many good suggestions (as I knew you all would). Thanks so much.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:41 PM

There is a lot to be said for cheaper irons. If they stop working you don't feel so badly about tossing them. On the other hand, the more expensive ones can be wonderful if you are willing to risk paying a higher price. If your budget permits, I would recommend the Oliso Pro. I have had an Oliso Pro for almost 4 years now and have not had one moment's trouble with it. With any product, there will be "lemons". Just make sure that whatever company/brand you choose to go with has great customer support and will stand by their product.

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
Right now I am fighting with Oliso regarding my year old $200 machine that keeps on turning it self off....so I am not recommending this iron....I plan on going to Walmart tomorrow morning and finding a cheap one that does not have a shut off feature.... probably spend between $20-$30 ....probably look at a Black and Decker.....