Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!  Who's afraid of scraps??? >

HELP!!! Who's afraid of scraps???

HELP!!! Who's afraid of scraps???

Old 01-03-2010, 04:52 AM

You could also do a plain postage stamp quilt using 2" x 2" patches of fabrics, the more colors you use the better. There is a good example at ctpublog.com - search postage stamp quilt project. It will give you the instructions too!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 AM

I love this idea.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 AM

Look at stash buster on Quilterscache. It is awsome IMO.

http://www.quilterscache.com/S/StashbusterBlock.html
Old 01-03-2010, 01:55 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE a scrap quilt! I like the idea that there's a little piece of other quilts I've made in the scraps, it connects everyone that receives a quilt from me. I like to cruise the second hand stores for bags of fabrics, usually 3-4 dollars in my area, alot of times there's patterns in there I would never buy, even the fugly ones look alright in small doses, or, if it comes down to it and you can't look at it, there's no harm in tossing it because you don't really have any ivestment in it. Also, my first stop any time I go to the fabric store is the scrap bin. I've sent a couple fotos, the nine patch is from 1998, just after I started quilting, and the log cabin blocks are what I'm working on currently.

log cabin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62945[/ATTACH]

nine patch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62946[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62940.jpe   attachment-62941.jpe  
Old 01-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Dkm

You could make a fun and done with the 2 1/2 strips. Using a solid for the backing that will make sashing in between the blocks. I've seen many quilts made this way and each have been beautiful.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:54 PM

I love it! 9 patches are so much fun and a blast to get rid of the scraps no matter the size!
Old 01-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by vjengels
I LOVE LOVE LOVE a scrap quilt! I like the idea that there's a little piece of other quilts I've made in the scraps, it connects everyone that receives a quilt from me. I like to cruise the second hand stores for bags of fabrics, usually 3-4 dollars in my area, alot of times there's patterns in there I would never buy, even the fugly ones look alright in small doses, or, if it comes down to it and you can't look at it, there's no harm in tossing it because you don't really have any ivestment in it. Also, my first stop any time I go to the fabric store is the scrap bin. I've sent a couple fotos, the nine patch is from 1998, just after I started quilting, and the log cabin blocks are what I'm working on currently.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your scrappy log cabin blocks. What an awesome way to use scraps--please post a picture when its finished. Scrappy is so interesting--so much to look at and discover!
Old 01-03-2010, 05:20 PM

vgengels, love the scrapy 9 patch, then just a little triangle in each corner of the white square. nice touch, draws it all together. great job.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:21 PM

Can I jump in here? I always cut the leftover fabric into whatever the largest size square can be...and I have them in little baskets, by size, from 1 1/2 up to 6 inch blocks..when the basket gets full, I make a scrap quilt with that size....just use whatever is in that basket..and usually, it looks fine..sometimes, I use one color to tye it all together, usually a light shade, like a beige, etc...I will see if I can find a photo of one/some of them.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 AM

I do the same as you. I really like to cut 2.5" strips because there are so many jelly roll patterns now, that it's easy to find scrappy patterns. If you take a light and dark 2.5 strip and sew them together.Then subcut that strip into 2.5" segments. Then sew two together and it becomes a 4-patches. When you put 9 of these together in a 9 patch style it becomes a 12" block. I sometimes take a 4.5" fussy cut square for the center block.