Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - Why are the edges of my quilt wavy? >

Help - Why are the edges of my quilt wavy?

Help - Why are the edges of my quilt wavy?

Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Measuring your quilt from the middle in at least a couple of places, then use that measurement for the borders, this should eliminate most of your waves. Also, if you cut your borders using the length of fabric, which isn't always possible, there should be less waves as well.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:52 PM

I don't think the edges look wavy - and I love your quilt.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:56 PM

I love your quilt, it looks very pretty!
Old 01-08-2015, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Are you just sewing a strip of fabric on for the borders and cutting off anything left over? Fabric creeps, particularly the bottom fabric because of the feed dogs. Cut borders to fit, and hold on to your fabric layers as you sew so it doesn't creep. It can also make a difference if you cut your borders lengthwise rather than cross grain, cross grain (selvedge to selvedge) has more give which isn't always your friend.

I don't normally pin anything, but I do pin the borders. Pin the center to the center of the top, pin the quarters to the quarter marks, pin the ends together and then where you may need to ease, work from there.

Then when you put your binding on, hold the layers as you sew.
This is how I do. Always measure across the center of the quilt top and cut borders to that measurement. Then measure up and down through the center. Always works for me.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:35 AM

I measure center and both ends, if same, good; if different, add up and divide by three....gives the average and that's the number I use...
Old 01-08-2015, 07:32 AM

Thanks so much for all the input!! I do measure across the center of the quilt and then up/down for the borders. The quilt never seems 'wavy' until the binding is finished. So, I think it's with the binding that I get 'into trouble'. I love all of your ideas and definitely will be putting them to use!! <3
Old 01-08-2015, 08:12 AM

Our guild stressed doing this when applying borders. Cut the borders, then mark with a pin the center of the quilt where the border will be. Mark the center of the border; match, then pin the border on. Do this on all 4 sides, doing the sides first. This has worked for me, and also pressing as you go.
Carol Doak in her book, "My first Quilt Book," gives very much the same directions.
Mariah
Old 01-08-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by NanaPam View Post
When I finish a quilt, I notice that I can never get it to lay flat; the edges are always wavy. I also finished a table runner for a Christmas gift and the edges of that were also wavy. I have been attaching the binding by machine lately, could that be the cause? I'm attaching a pic of my last quilt so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas.
There is a trick to both cutting out your borders and applying them that will keep them from being wavy. The important thing in cutting them is to never double fold your fabric. That means don't take the fold and fold it again width wise. Even though it looks like you are cutting them even, they will be a little off if the fabric is double folded. So, start with a single fold. Then, after cutting no more than two of the border strips, line up your fabric on both the fold line on your mat, and the cut edge on your mat. Usually, you will find that even though your fabric seemed to be cut straight, there will be a sliver over the line on the cut edge. Take your ruler, line it up on the line of your mat and cut off the sliver. If you will do that after cutting no more than two border sections, you will end up with straight borders. (when I say no more than two border sections, I'm assuming you are cutting across the width of the fabric, and will need maybe 5 to 10 border strips, depending on the size of your quilt, which will require piecing together before they are sewn on).

Next, measure the middle of your quilt, the top of your quilt, and the bottom of your quilt. Then, take the average of the three measurements, and cut your pieced border strips to match the average of your measurements. For instance, if the middle measures 42, the top measures 41 1/2 and the bottom measures
42 1/2, then cut all your pieced border strips 42 inches. On the top, your will pin it and ease in the 1/2" fullness and on the bottom, you will pin it and stretch out the 1/2" lack. I promise you, if you will do these two simple things, your borders will be straight every time. )
Marcia
Old 01-08-2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by sprice View Post
your quilt is very nice. Try this--lay your two border pieces across the center of the quilt and use pins to mark the length. Then move each border piece to the edge and fit it on using those pins as a measure working in any discrepancy. The quilt often is a bit longer on the edges than it is in the middle of the quilt. You can measure across in the center of the quilt but I'd rather not use math. Doesn't matter what it measures--just so the border pieces measure the same as the center area of the quilt. Do it for both the length and width of the quilt to get your 4 pieces on the edges. I think you will be pleased with the results.
this real works. try it
Old 01-08-2015, 03:15 PM

Great suggestions!!! Thanks so much!