Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Her she is!! My 1954 Featherweight! >

Her she is!! My 1954 Featherweight!

Her she is!! My 1954 Featherweight!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 AM

Your machine is terrific! As for the smell in the case, I have heard that wadded up newspaper can help with odors. Or a box of baking soda sitting in the box while the machine is out?? Just a thought. Congrats on the new machine!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 AM

She is beautiful!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 AM

Ooh she's beautiful. I like the name Mini-me.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 AM

Oh wow I love it!!!!! I have been looking for a FW made in 1954 but have never found one I had come to the conclusion that they weren't made the year I was born. I have two FW on made in 1933 and one made in 1955. I really want one from 54 so you have given me hope that I will be able to find one!! Both of mine sew beautifully and one (1933 year of my mothers birth) has the table too. Congratulations on your baby and thanks for giving me hope once again that I can continue to search for a 1954 Featherweight and someday may find one.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 AM

I have the same machine! The machine repair guy told me the smell is from the old glue they used to use, but I suspect that if he had replaced the old felt inside the machine, it would have helped. I got a replacement case for my machine. It is still a little smelly, but not horrible. I also keep fabric softeners in the case. I tried all the remedies I could find on the internet, but nothing was completely successful.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 AM

Beautiful girl! You will love it. When I bought mine about 7 years ago the smell in the case was bad also. I went to one of Dave McCallum's work shops in Mt. Vernon, WA and he talked about getting rid of the smell. It worked just great and I've been able to keep it smell-free since. You should look at his web site and get his book "The Featherweight and I" and you will know how to clean and maintain your machine and box. His web site is www.featherweight221.com. I've got the book and his set of DVDs to help keep my baby in shape.
For additional items I've also bought from www.221parts.com and have been very satisfied with the items and service from both sites.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 AM

So nice! Congratulations!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 AM

I love the sound of Mini-me for this sweet little beauty. Congratulations.
Originally Posted by Antdebby1
She is here!! I've got her threaded and the bobbin in. She sews very nicely. She was born April 22, 1954 which is 4 months, 6 days before me.

The case is not in the best shape in the world, but it works just fine. However, there is a terrible odor in the case and on the machine. Hubby says it's oil. Does anyone have ideas on how to get rid of the smell? I can see where these adorable little machines are so addictive.

I'm still toying with what to name her. My husband likes Mini-Me. Someone on this board suggested DJ for Debby Jr. I like both names. What do y'all think?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 AM

I don't use the cases anymore but buy padded carriers with storage. You can spray with straight white vinegar for several weeks and always keep the top open. This works for old glue as well as mildew. Generally takes at least 2 weeks.

Generally, it is best to try it in spring or summer and sunshine after you spray. Leave on covered porch and spray several times a day. The smell WILL go away if you are regular and persistent.

PS Not hours in direct light but nice airy place with indirect sunshine. Outside is good bring inside late afternoon. I have 3 Featherweights bought for family members and worked on all. My 90 year old neighbor told me about method.

I dislike the cases as they bonk me and HURT to and from class so decided to buy small padded cooler on wheels with handle. Everything fits and no longer bruised up from case.

This is for your case only.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Beautiful machine. I like the name DJ. I used to have a Singer half head. I have kicked myself a thousand times for letting it go, traded it for a new machine (Singer). I bought it the year we got married. 1962.