Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
here comes sashiko >

here comes sashiko

here comes sashiko

Old 11-30-2017, 05:03 AM

Jane, I would be interested in your sashiko tips as well
Old 11-30-2017, 08:46 AM

Jane,
I had not heard of this machine until I read about it here. I am seriously thinking about getting one and would love to read your tips also. Please consider posting them.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:41 AM

The tips aren't a secret, they were just aimed at answering questions asked by another member, so it may appear to be a little out of context, but it is what I had typed in a word document first because it was so lengthy. So here it is:

[h=2]Babylock sashiko Machine Tips[/h]
Overall, I love this machine. I won’t ever return it, lend it out, or sell it. It is a keeper for me. That said, it is a bit temperamental (which is why nobody but me gets to run it). And it takes a combination of these things to get a nice steady stitch without breakage. I have not yet quilted a whole quilt without ever breaking a stitch, but I have reduced the breakage so I am not screaming at the poor baby. Probably, I average one or two breakages per full bobbin.
So here are the things to adjust or play with: (I think in order of importance)
1) Speed. Slow and steady is better than run and gun it. I think you already figured that out. And when it works, I find it relaxing to watch the machine go stitch, stitch, stitch as opposed to FMQ going zoom, zoom, zoom.
2) Polyester thread for “give/stretch” as opposed to silk, cotton, or metallic. Never try waxed quilting thread. I use to be 100% cotton policeman, now not so much.
3) Thread size. Stick with size 50 wt. I wanted to use size 12 wt and big stitches, but honestly, the 50 wt looks great, though I never would have thought it.
4) Bobbin winding. Yes, there are adjustments on the machine for this. Play with them, and even try using a separate bobbin winding machine like the plastic simplicity machine.
5) Needle. I use a topstitch needle. Can’t remember why. It seems I saw a youtube video of a teacher from the Superior Thread Co who was VERY knowledgeable on threads and needles and he did a convincing demo on this subject, and I am embarrassed to say it is the only take away I can remember. (But it is worth looking him up and watching, Dr Bob? Can’t remember).
6) FeedDog/Foot Pressure. You can go from a walking foot with full contact, to almost no contact like free motion. If you pull or push the fabric that is not in agreement with the setting you chose, you will break the thread.
7) Size of Quilt. This is not the kind of machine you want to be pulling or pushing on, so even though I have the support table, and a large table for it to rest on, I still do lap size quilts or smaller on it. The King sized quilt I am working on now, is a QAYG where I am quilting six strips, each about 18” by 120”, and then I will sew the strips together.

This is a lot of things to adjust for a single use machine, but when you get it right, it is a real joy. I hope this helps you. Jane Quilter.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:07 PM

Jane Quilter, thanks for the tips you have found useful. I have a Sashiko machine and love it for small projects. Hope you enjoy your machine, Sherry.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Thanks from me too, Jane - I've had mine all summer and have not done anything but look at it so far.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

So I'm guessing it's a machine that does stitches like hand quilting? I'm not very familiar with sashiko.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
So I'm guessing it's a machine that does stitches like hand quilting? I'm not very familiar with sashiko.
Yes, its a stitch, skip a stitch, stitch. You can vary the stitch length and/or vary the space length between stitches. This is different than the stitch that came out years ago where you use a monofilimant thread on top and the bobbin thread appears on the top as an imitation hand stitched option.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:12 PM

I have one I got used. Still pricey. Haven’t taken it out of the box. . I thought it would be great for straight line quilting. Now I can’t remember how to use it. One of these days I’ll catch up.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the info, Jane Quilter. I can't wait to see the one she bought. I've never seen one.
I can't keep up with all the new inventions!
Old 11-30-2017, 05:34 PM

I'm totally confused. I thought this machine did not use a bobbin but one thread from on the cone stand or spool....it would wrap around tying a knot at each stitch. Was I thinking of a different machine?????